British by decent - son get Right of Abode?

Old Oct 19th 2016, 9:59 am
Just Joined

iwshim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British by decent - son get Right of Abode?

I am British by decent - If i register my son as British they will not automaticaly get citizenship; however, will they qualify for special visa status such a "Right of Abode" ?

thanks!
Old Oct 19th 2016, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British by decent - son get Right of Abode?

Originally Posted by iwshim
I am British by decent - If i register my son as British they will not automaticaly get citizenship; however, will they qualify for special visa status such a "Right of Abode" ?

thanks!
If you stayed in the UK for three years or more before the birth of your son, then you can apply for the child to be register as a British Citizen under section 3(5) of the 1981 British Nationality Act. Please read the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ember_2015.pdf
Old Oct 19th 2016, 6:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!
If you spent three consecutive years in the UK before your son was born then you can register him as a British citizen by descent under Section 3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 using Form MN1. However this status would prevent him passing on his British citizenship to any children of his own who are born outside the UK.

If you wish to move back to the UK with your son then I would recommend applying for a settlement visa for him instead. He would receive Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE) and then after three years in the UK you could register him under Section 3(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981 using Form MN1. This would give him British citizenship otherwise than by descent and his children would be British citizens regardless of where they were born.

Originally Posted by HKG3
If you stayed in the UK for three years or more before the birth of your son, then you can apply for the child to be register as a British Citizen under section 3(5) of the 1981 British Nationality Act. Please read the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ember_2015.pdf
You're thinking of Section 3(2) but otherwise correct.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

settlement visa - thanks!!!! many advantages to that. I will aply today.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 9:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

settlement visa - thanks!!!! many advantages to that. I will aply today.
Only apply if you want to move back to the UK with your son right away. Little point in doing it otherwise.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Have I missed something? I applied here for my son - https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth
Even though I am British by Decent, I thought I could register the birth (not register my son as a citizen but record his birth in the UK) . I know he is not automatically a citizen + but I thought the birth would be recorded as evidence for a later application of "Indefinite Leave to Enter". Is there a different process to register a birth?
Old Nov 15th 2016, 9:13 am

You can only register the birth of British citizens born abroad. If your son wasn't automatically a British citizen at birth then any application to register his birth will be rejected.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Kentse1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the similar case.
I am a BC by descent registered in Sep 1992. During that time till July 1997, I received full time education in College & Universities, so should more than 3 years of staying in the U.K.
If I want to register my child as BC (he wasn't born in the U.K.), how can I proof my residency during 92-97? Can letters from universities & college to proof I was their full time student be adequate?
Thx
Old Nov 15th 2016, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kentse1973
I have the similar case.
I am a BC by descent registered in Sep 1992. During that time till July 1997, I received full time education in College & Universities, so should more than 3 years of staying in the U.K.
If I want to register my child as BC (he wasn't born in the U.K.), how can I proof my residency during 92-97? Can letters from universities & college to proof I was their full time student be adequate?
Thx
Providing your child was born after 1997 then, yes, he or she would be eligible for registration under Section 3(2). Letters and/or academic transcripts from your college and university would be primary pieces of evidence. Anything else you have from this period would be helpful - old bank statements, bills, tenancy agreements, P45s/P60s, payslips etc..
Old Nov 16th 2016, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Kentse1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thx BP

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Providing your child was born after 1997 then, yes, he or she would be eligible for registration under Section 3(2). Letters and/or academic transcripts from your college and university would be primary pieces of evidence. Anything else you have from this period would be helpful - old bank statements, bills, tenancy agreements, P45s/P60s, payslips etc..
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if I'm eligible for British citizenship by indecent? My great-grandmother liked to show her frilly knickers when she'd been into the cooking sherry.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Spouse of Scouse should know that free-born Brtions can spell words any way they want. It says so in Magna Carta.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 10:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I wonder if I'm eligible for British citizenship by indecent? My great-grandmother liked to show her frilly knickers when she'd been into the cooking sherry.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Spouse of Scouse should know that free-born Brtions can spell words any way they want. It says so in Magna Carta.
Is that a free born Brtion by decent?
Old Nov 18th 2016, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I dissent from that opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.