BRITISH CITIZENSHIP HELP

Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

kpicktho has a brilliant futurekpicktho has a brilliant futurekpicktho has a brilliant futurekpicktho has a brilliant futurekpicktho has a brilliant futurekpicktho has a brilliant futurekpicktho has a brilliant future
Default BRITISH CITIZENSHIP HELP

Hello,

I have read a bunch of posts on this site as well as on he UK Border Agency website and haven't found a concrete answer to my question so I am hoping someone can help. I am looking in to obtaining british citizenship (i am currently a canadian citizen) but am unsure if i can and if so how i would go about doing it. Background info is:

- my father was born in England to British parents but moved to Canada when he was a child (10-12 i think)
- he let is British passport expire some years back and never renewed it but has never denounced his British citizenship or anything
- he currently holds a Canadian passport

- i was born in Canada to 2 Canadian citizens (my mother is canadian and my dad did not have a british passport at the time) that were married when they had me
- i was born in 1982 and I am male

I guess my question is can I get a british passport? does my father have to renew his passport for me to apply for one? does he have to contact the british government and inform them about me before i can apply? or can i simply apply for a passport under my current circumstances. any help would be apprecitated.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRITISH CITIZENSHIP HELP

You were not born to two canadians, your father is clearly as british as I am, he just had an expired passport.

You will need some proof however, your fathers birth and marrage certs and your birth cert;
http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/resourc...ationality1983

when you have it go here, find the right form and fill it out.
http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/how-to-apply

There is more info here;
http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/pass...-uk-passport1/

Last edited by iaink; Nov 21st 2008 at 6:04 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add...

The fact your father no longer has his UK passport is not relevent in this case, as long as you can establish that he was born in the UK and was married when you were born you are british by decent and can get a passport as a result.

However, any kids you have wont necessarily qualify to be british as a result. The passport of and in itself is not enough.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kpicktho
I guess my question is can I get a british passport? does my father have to renew his passport for me to apply for one? does he have to contact the british government and inform them about me before i can apply? or can i simply apply for a passport under my current circumstances. any help would be apprecitated.
In order:

- based on the facts, yes.
- no.
- no.
- yes.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

alan321 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are a British citizen.
But in order that your children would be British they must be born in the UK or born outside the UK but you must live 3 years in the UK prior to their birth