British citizenship for French National

Old Oct 24th 2016, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Emma1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizenship for French National

Hello All,

I am looking into the possibility of British registration of my French born and adopted son (3 years old).

The MN1 form under section 3(1) of the british nationality act 1981 seems the way to go about it, under the discretion of the Home Secretary (applying under the "Other Adoptions" heading as we live in France and were living in France at the time of the adoption. And we will continue to live here.)

I am British by birth, my husband French. We have all the necessary documents but what I need to know is, even if we remain abroad, does this affect our chances of being approved? (because for me, British citizenship is given if we can prove we are willing to integrate into British society etc. so living abroad does not really do that).

I would appreciate any help and advice,

Thank you,

Emma
Old Oct 24th 2016, 11:51 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship for French National

No, your son can become a British citizen without your family needing to move to the UK, but this is at discretion rather than automatically as would be the case if he was adopted through the UK courts. 'Integrating into British society' is not a requirement.

The supporting documents required are as follows:

Child adopted abroad by British parents.
• The child’s birth certificate, or where the child has been abandoned, a certificate of abandonment from the authorities previously responsible for the child; and
• Evidence of the relevant adoptive parent’s claim to British citizenship otherwise than by descent*; and
• The consent of the adoptive parent(s) to the registration (and in surrogacy cases, a notarised statement of consent from the surrogate mother); and
• The Adoption Order; and
• A contemporary report from the overseas equivalent of the Social Services Department which details:
a) the child’s parentage and history; and
b) the degree of contact with the original parent(s); and
c) the reasons for adoption; and
d) the date, reasons and arrangements for the child’s entry into an institution or foster placement; and
e) when, how and why the child came to be offered to the adoptive parent(s)
• Evidence of the parents’ country of habitual residence.; and
• Where the parents are habitually resident in the UK, confirmation from the DfES (for those in England and Wales), from the Scottish Executive (for those parents in Scotland) or from the Department of Health Social Security and Public Safety – Northern Ireland (for those resident in Northern Ireland) that they have been assessed and approved as eligible to become an adoptive parent. If there are any doubts about the validity of the documentation provided, the DfES can be contacted for confirmation that the parents have had the relevant approval (DfES hold details on all approvals not just those in England and Wales); or
• Where the parents are not habitually resident in the UK, confirmation from the equivalent of the Social Services Department in their country of residence that all relevant adoption laws have been complied with.

*If you are sending your adoptive parent’s British passport and you are making your application by post you can send a complete and full copy of their current passport. Every page of the passport must be copied including any blank pages.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for that BritInParis. It makes things a lot clearer now and your list is very useful.

Just another question, by chance do you know if there is a Biometric enrollment centre in France please? I have tried to no ends, to contact HMO and nothing on vls global. I just need to know if we have to come to the UK for this or if it can be done here.

Thank you once again.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 12:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There is, several I think (without checking). For a three year old they will only take a digital passport photo; no fingerprinting is required.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much, that is reassuring to know I can get it done here. I will get my translations done and start the process. you've been a great help
Old Oct 24th 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Emma1981
Thank you so much, that is reassuring to know I can get it done here. I will get my translations done and start the process. you've been a great help
You are welcome.