British Citizen Unfamiliar with the UK

Old May 30th 2011, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizen Unfamiliar with the UK

Good luck!

My son went to UK after graduating (albeit a different time, almost a decade ago) and it took him a while to get into his chosen field but, now there, he has great career prospects ) but at first he took whatever was on offer and it was amazing that once he had a job just keeping the wolf from the door he got the job he really wanted. It is much easier to get a job if you are there in person rather than vying with loads of other applicants from the other side of the world.

Just save up like crazy, check out http://www.gumtree.com/?hp=1 and pick a place you want to try living in. Most youngsters have at least a little while in London just for the buzz of it all.
Old May 30th 2011, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
better tips though and in the last year or so employers seem to have softened up and handed over some if not all of the service charge they used to keep for themselves.
Nah, not softened up, the law was tightened so that tips meant for staff had to be given to staff. If they could get away with keeping tips they'd probably still be doing it!
Old May 31st 2011, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Nah, not softened up, the law was tightened so that tips meant for staff had to be given to staff. If they could get away with keeping tips they'd probably still be doing it!
Now that you come to mention it I do recall that some of the big restaurant groups like Paramount/Bertorelli/Groupe Chez Gerard were paying below minimum wage and using the service charge, tips and gratuities to top-up wages to minimum and this was quite obviously ruled illegal. Ba....ds!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
Good luck!

My son went to UK after graduating (albeit a different time, almost a decade ago) and it took him a while to get into his chosen field but, now there, he has great career prospects ) but at first he took whatever was on offer and it was amazing that once he had a job just keeping the wolf from the door he got the job he really wanted. It is much easier to get a job if you are there in person rather than vying with loads of other applicants from the other side of the world.

Just save up like crazy, check out http://www.gumtree.com/?hp=1 and pick a place you want to try living in. Most youngsters have at least a little while in London just for the buzz of it all.
Thanks for the advice. It seems as if it will be quite difficult to do the major planning from the US in terms of a flat etc. I'm really glad I started the process a year and a half in advance.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Of course whatever you can add by doing the burger-flipping or maybe slightly better will help a lot. You should be able to get 7 pounds or so an hour plus hopefully an element of any service charge and tips and staff meals which all put together add up. I guess the point of my previous post was to get an appreciation that IF you can indeed bring 3-5,000 or a bit more as a kitty then you are taking pressure off yourself when it comes to focusing on priority A. Otherwise you can end up with a bit of a juggling act.

My son initially found restaurant work by applying to an agency which hired out staff for set piece events in Glasgow. This gave him the experience to later go direct to restaurants and pizzerias though the wages are really not that different on a direct basis and even supervisors are close to minimum wage. There were the meals and better tips though and in the last year or so employers seem to have softened up and handed over some if not all of the service charge they used to keep for themselves.
Thank you. I won't make the move without savings as I will be on my own without family there. I don't mind doing whatever I have to do, until I find a job in my trained professional field.

I think someone can't remember now suggested I make the move before trying to find a job from the US. I know that before the new immigration laws were implemented I would see UK recruiters here in the US from my field all the time, now not so much. Thankfully the law does not affect me.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

I think you will find it difficult to find a flat before you arrive there and advertisements can be very deceiving. Also, knowing no one is seriously no fun if you are in your 20's and fresh off the boat. I am assuming you are going to London. Why dont you consider staying in a central London backpackers for the first week or two, some of them do single rooms. Then in that time go and view flat share options around the city. That way you can get a nice single room in a house, you might have to share a kitchen and bathroom, or you might have a en suite, and meet other people quickly. A flat share will almost always be furnished too, so you will literally need to buy bedding and a towel. In the mean time keep a eye on gumtree to get a idea of locations and prices. And you will probably not be tied down too much, if you really dont like the people you are sharing with or the area, most of the time your responsibility only goes as far as advertising and finding someone to replace you. Good luck.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:29 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: British Citizen Unfamiliar with the UK

Another good source for info, jobs and accommodation (Londoncentric I'm afraid!) is the TNT magazine website.

The printed (free of charge) TNT magazine is found in big cities, often in travel agencies such as Trailfinders and STA, railway stations, near big tourist attractions - usually the British Commonwealth countries eg. Australia, NZ, South Africa, Canada where traditionally backpackers from the Commonwealth countries go to live and work for a year or two on working holiday visas. However, it's a mine of information and good for meeting up with other like-minded young people.

Scroll down the Home Page and you will see the section on "Moving to London" including how to set up a bank account, looking for a place to live etc:

http://www.tntmagazine.com/

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rozellem
I think you will find it difficult to find a flat before you arrive there and advertisements can be very deceiving. Also, knowing no one is seriously no fun if you are in your 20's and fresh off the boat. I am assuming you are going to London. Why dont you consider staying in a central London backpackers for the first week or two, some of them do single rooms. Then in that time go and view flat share options around the city. That way you can get a nice single room in a house, you might have to share a kitchen and bathroom, or you might have a en suite, and meet other people quickly. A flat share will almost always be furnished too, so you will literally need to buy bedding and a towel. In the mean time keep a eye on gumtree to get a idea of locations and prices. And you will probably not be tied down too much, if you really dont like the people you are sharing with or the area, most of the time your responsibility only goes as far as advertising and finding someone to replace you. Good luck.
Thank you. Yes I am going to London and I will take your advice under consideration. Any idea where to look for a central London backpackers?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Another good source for info, jobs and accommodation (Londoncentric I'm afraid!) is the TNT magazine website.

The printed (free of charge) TNT magazine is found in big cities, often in travel agencies such as Trailfinders and STA, railway stations, near big tourist attractions - usually the British Commonwealth countries eg. Australia, NZ, South Africa, Canada where traditionally backpackers from the Commonwealth countries go to live and work for a year or two on working holiday visas. However, it's a mine of information and good for meeting up with other like-minded young people.

Scroll down the Home Page and you will see the section on "Moving to London" including how to set up a bank account, looking for a place to live etc:

http://www.tntmagazine.com/

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much for the link. Taking a look now
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brigette
Thank you. Yes I am going to London and I will take your advice under consideration. Any idea where to look for a central London backpackers?
I just googled "central London backpackers single room" and found this site that looks like a good start for looking at a large list of London hostels/backpackers.

http://www.hostels.com/london/england

And then you would probably want to move on to a flat share. Remember to look on googlemaps where these properties are in relation to the nearest Undergound (tube) station. Do you have a idea where jobs like yours will be based? Either city centre, Canary Wharf, out by Heathrow or a business park outside of the city? Just things to think about. Google will become your new best friend.

http://london.spareroom.co.uk/

http://www.moveflat.com/

http://www.intolondon.com/

http://www.gumtree.com/flatshare/london
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
Thanks for the advice. What I am studying in graduate school is on the "shortage occupation list" so that is why I was thinking that I would be able to get a job before I left. Others have done it before the immigration laws became more stringent (thankfully it doesn't apply to me) but yes you do have a point about savings.

Currently I do have a decent nest egg and by next year it will get better. Do you think £3,000 to £5,000 is enough for 6 months?
Hi Brigette,

Have a look at room share prices in London.

http://www.gumtree.com/london/2547_1.html

Anything from £75 per week to £200 pw. It won't be luxury either. Get something that includes all bills or find out how much they'll be. You'll need deposit money up front as well, which may not be refunded either.

Make sure you have a laptop with internet access e.g. buy a 3G dongle when you get there etc... it will be your life blood. Research for best deals e.g. no expiry.

Travelcard per month could easily be £100+ depending on travel zones.

Without working, £5000 for six months won't be enough IMO. Also have a plan for access to extra funds from the US, if needed.

Good luck!

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 1st 2011 at 10:25 am.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if Brigette would be entitled to any benefits?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Does anyone know if Brigette would be entitled to any benefits?
There's income support for starters, if you are working less than sixteen hours a week.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...me/DG_10018708

or Jobseeker's Allowance:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rk/DG_10014402

Housing Benefit:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...me/DG_10018926

and maybe Tax Credits:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...dits/index.htm

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 1st 2011 at 1:18 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

There's income support for starters, if you are working less than sixteen hours a week.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...me/DG_10018708

or Jobseeker's Allowance:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rk/DG_10014402

Housing Benefit:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...me/DG_10018926

and maybe Tax Credits:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...dits/index.htm
Thank you so much for the links. Jerseygirl, thanks for asking
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Hi Brigette,

Have a look at room share prices in London.

http://www.gumtree.com/london/2547_1.html

Anything from £75 per week to £200 pw. It won't be luxury either. Get something that includes all bills or find out how much they'll be. You'll need deposit money up front as well, which may not be refunded either.

Make sure you have a laptop with internet access e.g. buy a 3G dongle when you get there etc... it will be your life blood. Research for best deals e.g. no expiry.

Travelcard per month could easily be £100+ depending on travel zones.

Without working, £5000 for six months won't be enough IMO. Also have a plan for access to extra funds from the US, if needed.

Good luck!
Quite daunting isn't it? Thanks for the advice. I'm so glad I started the process early