Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Glad to hear you & your relatives are all lucky enough that they will experience no problems meeting these new requirements, Formula. Hope nothing ever happens to change that for you or for them . . . job loss, bankruptcy, mental problems, health breakdown, old age, or any bad luck of various kinds. Nice to know some are immune from reality's ups & downs.
If they get mental health problems or health breakdowns, then they will get DLA and will be exempt form the immigration income rules.

Old age comes to us all and is not unexpected, so people (should) plan for ald age.

Job loss: get some eductation and experiences under your belt so you can offer something to a new employer.

Bankruptcy: if you are PAYE then you have to go some to spend all your savings and get into such debt that you declare bankruptcy.

TBH, I have never met people (in real life) like some of you on here. I'm amazed by the attitudes and reluctance to work the hours needed. Try being proactive instead of reactive (unless some of you get enjoyment out of moaning; or hurling insults).

My daughter has just given up her job to go freelance. She won't go bankrupt. She will be fine.

Last edited by formula; Jul 11th 2012 at 10:14 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:34 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
How is pointing out that if you work the hours you can meet the requirements, "gloating"?
According to The Ecomomist magazine (not generally known for sympathy to immigrants), the new financial threshold for the spouse visa-
is half again as much as someone would make working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, at the minimum wage. According to the Migration Observatory at Oxford University, 47% of British citizens in employment would not qualify to bring in a family member, nor would 58% of people 20-30 years old, or 61% of women of any age.
http://www.economist.com/node/21556926

My daughter has just given up her job to go freelance. She won't go bankrupt. She will be fine.
And how easily will she be able to sponsor a non-EEA partner? Having a financial requirement for sponsorship is fine, but not one that leaves 61% of British females of any age unable to sponsor a foreign partner. . . should they be unlucky enough to fall in love with a non-EEA person. That's just plainly ridiculous!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If they get mental health problems or health breakdowns, then they will get DLA and will be exempt form the immigration income rules.

Old age comes to us all and is not unexpected, so people (should) plan for ald age.

Job loss: get some eductation and experiences under your belt so you can offer something to a new employer.

Bankruptcy: if you are PAYE then you have to go some to spend all your savings and get into such debt that you declare bankruptcy.

TBH, I have never met people (in real life) like some of you on here. I'm amazed by the attitudes and reluctance to work the hours needed. Try being proactive instead of reactive (unless some of you get enjoyment out of moaning; or hurling insults).

You've lived one hell of a bubbled, sheltered life to have your out look.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Those who work hard/have worked hard, will meet the requirements. The other type, can either keep moaning
Yes, that's right. Nothing in between.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I sometimes wonder, while working the 38 hours a week which is all I am allowed to work at present according to my contract, how anyone can possibly be so blinkered..........
Practice.

..but you like being nasty to others. Speaks volumes really.
Yes, that was a bit below the belt suggesting you're a Daily Mail reader.

What's to stop you getting a second job?
I thought jobs were in short supply...and you want someone to take extra work so someone else doesn't get any at all?

Nice.

Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:43 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anyone who works less than 50 hours. What's to stop you getting a second job? It's what a lot of immigrants who don't have access to welfare, are doing if they don't earn enough.

Small circle?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

it's one of those Tory 'feelgood' things - we're doing something to limit immigration, haven't really thought it through but the headlines look good and it supports the image of lazy no-good foreigners.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:52 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

How is pointing out that if you work the hours you can meet the requirements, "gloating"?

I'm not even sure why some of you seem to object to working the hours needed?
I object for reasons.

1) because some people like students cannot work enough hours to qualify and those on minimum wage would have to work Dickensian numbers of hours. You seem to have missed the advances in working conditions through the 20th century. Suggesting that people just "need to work the hours" has over tones of "Arbeit macht frei".

and

2) a British citizen should not be required to work by the Government to live in the UK with his/her family. The Government imposition of either financial or work requirements is very "1984" to my mind.

Last edited by nun; Jul 11th 2012 at 11:58 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

formula hasn't provided anything constructive to this thread for quite a while. I'm not sure why people continue to get hooked into replying to him.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I object for reasons.

1) because some people like students cannot work enough hours to qualify and those on minimum wage would have to work Dickensian numbers of hours. You seem to have missed the advances in working conditions through the 20th century. Suggesting that people just "need to work the hours" has over tones of "Arbeit macht frei".

and

2) a British citizen should not be required to work by the Government to live in the UK with his/her family. The Government imposition of either financial or work requirements is very "1984" to my mind.
I'd not bother with reasoning, as we've all posted, he just ignores it all and ignores anyone who puts any questions that put kinks into his closed minded opinion of his tiny little circle.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
formula hasn't provided anything constructive to this thread for quite a while. I'm not sure why people continue to get hooked into replying to him.
Aye, it is very much the classic troll, but whatever.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:55 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think we should recognise that Formula's done a good job at keeping this thread going. He jumps in with his one-note responses & the thread wakes right up out of its doldrums. So just about everyone who needs to know should have had a chance to read all about the new rules by now . . . as well as the Surinder Singh alternative route.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:56 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think we should recognise that Formula's done a good job at keeping this thread going. He jumps in with his one-note responses & the thread wakes right up out of its doldrums. So just about everyone who needs to know should have had a chance to read all about the new rules by now . . . as well as the Surinder Singh alternative route.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

There, did that make you feel better?

Interesting how quick you are to complain and point out the site rules if you think someone has been rude to you, but you like being nasty to others. Speaks volumes really.
If you're not a Daily Mail reader and offence has been taken from saying you are, then I unreservedly apologise to all Daily Mail readers.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'd not bother with reasoning, as we've all posted, he just ignores it all and ignores anyone who puts any questions that put kinks into his closed minded opinion of his tiny little circle.
Formula is a woman....
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Formula is a woman....
Don't really see that it makes any difference :confused;

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.