Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by formula
I think the solicitor might be correct when he said you can't use Article 8 to decide where you want to live. On other forums, people have posted that in their own appeals, the judges ruled against them and said their right to a family life was not being abused, as they could still have their 'family life' in another country.

And so could the people who have fought against deportation. But judges still ruled in their favour.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by iaink

You would have to admit that ten years and 2 kids together could be considered pretty inconvenient for a marriage of convenience
It's not just about marriage of convenience though. Cameron said (many times) that the UK taxpayers should not have to continue to shoulder the costs of foreign nationals. Hence why he wants the UK national to show they have the income to support their foreign national partner and not be a burden to the UK taxpayer.

When they were talking about Australian and Canadian immigration rules,I did wonder if he would add medicals too to the new rules.

Last edited by formula; Mar 26th 2012 at 3:54 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. To think that I would be barred on financial grounds from returning to the UK with my wife after ten years of marriage and 2 (half british) kids should I want to is outragous.

Its bad enough that she would have to jump hoops in order to work in the UK.
Yes, duration of marriage seems to have been ignored in all this. I mean, who'd put up with you for 10 years, just to gain entry into the UK? (When I say "you" I mean it in the general sense of course )
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... Im lucky that my brothers are still there to watch out for my Dad as he gets older, but I can imagine many others not in such a fortunate situation who may want to return for reasons other than a nice cushy job waiting for them.
Still, that makes life a bit easier doesn't it? Sorry mum, sorry dad, the government won't let us come back to be near you.

The spirit of Thatcher lives on.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just about marriage of convenience though. Cameron said (many times) that the UK taxpayers should not have to continue to shoulder the costs of foreign nationals.
"Shes not a foreign national, shes my wife"

Seriously though, having to find child care (tax decuctable) to watch my british kids while I go work would cost the tax payer more than letting her into the country as a stay at home mum.

And if shouldering the cost of foreign nationals is a concern, then why make it hard for her to work if she moved to the UK with her husband and kids. Makes no sense to me. by all means limit benefits, or require a guarantor, but preventing families from being together when 3 out of 4 are british makes absolutely no sense to me. There are better ways to deal with it.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

A wife and two children on less than about 46K, would mean that they can claim welfare for all the family through child related welfare payments as soon as they enter the UK, if only one parent worked. If both parents' worked, than the tapering would mean they would get more welfare payments to cover 70% of their childcare. Plus there is also the education and healthcare all 4 would want.
NHS and education come out of general taxation, so it wouldn't be a extra burden, unless someone lived in a commune cut away from society.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:59 pm
Oscar nominated

Hence why he wants the UK national to show they have the income to support their foreign national partner and not be a burden to the UK taxpayer.
But you do know full well that many will not be a "burden" and they still won't meet the income condition and there will be people who will draw upon the UK system precisely because they cannot bring their foreign spouse with them.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And so could the people who have fought against deportation. But judges still ruled in their favour.
Yes, I think the EU leaders have finally woken up to the fact that human rights laws do not not apply to citizens in their own countires.

Other western countries just throw those types out anyway and then pay a fine to the EU for going against EU law. It's cheaper than all the cost the UK racks up in court fees and keeping those type of people and their families.

Some EU countries even refuse EU fre worker movemnet rights to those who should have them as family of an EU citizen. The UK has got to stop being too fair. Each time it happens in the UK, it is just another nail in the coffin of the EU - perhaps that is the plan?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
NHS and education come out of general taxation, so it wouldn't be a extra burden, unless someone lived in a commune cut away from society.
It would be a burden if the UK citizen wasn't paying taxes.

Interesting to see that on immigration (to the UK) forums, some non-EUs will get visas to the Uk and then work 2 or 3 jobs to get enough money to stay here and bring over their non-EU family. Why don't Brits want to do that for their non-EU partners?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

But you do know full well that many will not be a "burden" and they still won't meet the income condition and there will be people who will draw upon the UK system precisely because they cannot bring their foreign spouse with them.
Wasn't it you that said something along the lines - that it is damm right that you expect to up and retire to the UK with your foreign national wife and both be given free NHS (and welfare like bus passes, winter fuel, care homes etc). How is that not being a burden to the UK?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:11 pm
Oscar nominated

Interesting to see that on immigration (to the UK) forums, some non-EUs will get visas to the Uk and then work 2 or 3 jobs to get enough money to stay here and bring over their non-EU family. Why don't Brits want to do that for their non-EU partners?
I think there's quite a difference between people from other countries wanting to MOVE to the UK and people wanting to return HOME to the UK.

Aside from which, what if they cannot work, but will still not NEED to claim anything?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife now gets her British Old Age Pension. (Well, she would if she filled in the form and sent it back to the good folks in Newcastle.) So here is a person who receives a British Old Age Pension for life, but may not be eligible to live in the UK. (We lived & worked in the UK before 1991, but didn't get her citizenship when we left to live in the US. Obviously that was an error, but we didn't think the barriers would get so onerous for returning..)

Not a good time for trying to prove that you can get a certain income from a set amount of retirement savings, since investment & saving yields are historically low right now.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't Brits want to do that for their non-EU partners?
Er, cos we are living hapilly enough together overseas, paying our way. Why the hell should we have to split up a family in order to move back to the motherland?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't it you that said something along the lines - that it is damm right that you expect to up and retire to the UK with your foreign national wife and both be given free NHS (and welfare like bus passes, winter fuel, care homes etc). How is that not being a burden to the UK?
NHS -- bus passes -- if you return to retire in the UK, then of course you become a UK taxpayer, so no, you are not a burden.

My case, for instance. My wife & I lived in the UK from 1972-1976, and 1979-1991. We both worked & payed taxes all those years. We were eligible for NHS, but being young, hardly ever went to the doctor etc. Now we'll come back in 2013 (let's say) we become taxpayers again, so obviously become eligible for the NHS again. What's the problem?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Still, that makes life a bit easier doesn't it? Sorry mum, sorry dad, the government won't let us come back to be near you.

The spirit of Thatcher lives on.
Another poster on immigration boards summed these immigration changes up. They said that because the last government (Blair) opened the immigration door wide with easy routes to the UK for virtually everyone, the new changes were going to have to be tough, much tougher than they even were before.

The things Blair did just to import more labour voters. Power hungry and money hungry is not a good combination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.