Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British Citizen by descent moving to UK with non british children

British Citizen by descent moving to UK with non british children

Old Aug 18th 2018, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Strawtermelon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Citizen by descent moving to UK with non british children

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I think the time frame is tight but still doable. However, should it not happen in time and whilst not advisable if you can avoid it, the children going in as visitors is still preferable to forking out for child settlement visas. You will need to be honest if asked a direct question about your intentions at the UK border but at the same time you shouldn't be volunteering information.

Hi BritInParis,
Finally today we received the service record. I specifically asked for his place of enlistment and date of discharge, on a piece of paper attached to our application form, however the paperwork they have given me only shows his discharge which thankfully is after my mother in law was born! So he was in crown service at the time of her birth..
Obviously he was enlisted in England, probably London as that's where he was born and lived, but there is nowhere on the documents that actually shows "place of enlistment".
It shows his full history inc first training in Suffolk, then Chatham, then Fort William Scotland... so obviously he was enlisted in the UK.. but will this be enough to get my husbands passport?
I dont know what else to do now.. Ive exhausted the documents I can apply for.
Should I just apply for his passport, supply all the documentation and hope and pray they accept it?
Thanks again for your help.
P.S. Still waiting for my British passport. It says its still being processed. I can't apply for the kids Irish birth registration til I get my documents back.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 8:19 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strawtermelon
Hi BritInParis,
Finally today we received the service record. I specifically asked for his place of enlistment and date of discharge, on a piece of paper attached to our application form, however the paperwork they have given me only shows his discharge which thankfully is after my mother in law was born! So he was in crown service at the time of her birth..
Obviously he was enlisted in England, probably London as that's where he was born and lived, but there is nowhere on the documents that actually shows "place of enlistment".
It shows his full history inc first training in Suffolk, then Chatham, then Fort William Scotland... so obviously he was enlisted in the UK.. but will this be enough to get my husbands passport?
I dont know what else to do now.. Ive exhausted the documents I can apply for.
Should I just apply for his passport, supply all the documentation and hope and pray they accept it?
Thanks again for your help.
P.S. Still waiting for my British passport. It says its still being processed. I can't apply for the kids Irish birth registration til I get my documents back.
It’s generally accepted that if you complete your training in the UK then you were recruited in the UK so what you have should be fine. How long have you been waiting for your British passport now?
Old Aug 18th 2018, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou. That puts my mind at ease.
Its been 6 weeks yesterday since my passport application was received by Her Majesty’s passport office, according to the tracking of my envelope. It said approx 6 weeks when I filled the form online, so I’m expecting it to be done any day now!
Old Aug 18th 2018, 3:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou. That puts my mind at ease.
Its been 6 weeks yesterday since my passport application was received by Her Majesty’s passport office, according to the tracking of my envelope. It said approx 6 weeks when I filled the form online, so I’m expecting it to be done any day now!
Should do. I would’ve expected it back by now.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Should do. I would’ve expected it back by now.
-

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 19th 2018 at 1:35 pm. Reason: Image removed because it shows personal details ie name
Old Aug 19th 2018, 2:01 am
Just Joined

My application was for a First British passport, as my previous one was a child’s passport. It had been cancelled and the corner was chopped off.
I also had change of name documents supplied, as my name is different now to my birth name, and to my British child’s passport... perhaps that has made the process longer for me? Feeling worried now.. but I’m definitely a British citizen.. so.. I don’t think there should be any problems..
Old Aug 19th 2018, 8:29 am

My application was for a First British passport, as my previous one was a child’s passport. It had been cancelled and the corner was chopped off.
I also had change of name documents supplied, as my name is different now to my birth name, and to my British child’s passport... perhaps that has made the process longer for me? Feeling worried now.. but I’m definitely a British citizen.. so.. I don’t think there should be any problems..
And your supporting documents have been received?
Old Aug 20th 2018, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Yes, I sent them via registered express post with tracking, that’s how I know they were received 6 weeks ago.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Should it say Documents received?
I know they received them because my postage tracking says the recipient has received the parcel. And it doesn’t say any action is required.. so, I’ve presumed they have all the documents they need? Otherwise they’d request it yes?
Old Aug 20th 2018, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Sorry for all the posts, but I just answered my own question.. it seems there are only 4 display options, and if they hadn’t received my documentation, it would read “Awaiting information from the applicant” so it really is just a waiting game. I’m assume it is taking more time because I had a change of name, perhaps they need more time to verify I really am who I claim to be. My name change was both given name and surname, so it’s not just your typical married name change etc.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

It’s generally accepted that if you complete your training in the UK then you were recruited in the UK so what you have should be fine. How long have you been waiting for your British passport now?
I just received this reply from MOD. I had emailed them asking if there was any more information regarding his place of enlistment, and if not, did they know of somewhere else that I might be able to find out.
I found it interesting.. thought I’d share...
Old Aug 20th 2018, 1:57 pm

I just received this reply from MOD. I had emailed them asking if there was any more information regarding his place of enlistment, and if not, did they know of somewhere else that I might be able to find out.
I found it interesting.. thought I’d share...
As mentioned that he completed his training in the UK should suffice.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:16 am

What was the conclusion?
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:27 am
Just Joined

What was the conclusion?
Hi, I was going to update.. We finally received my husbands British passport! Only 2 days ago.
And I have sent off for my childrens Irish birth registry last week. We are moving end of November and will enter UK getting kids the normal holiday Visa upon entry. Hoping the citizenship comes thru in time so we dont have to get the other Visa or return to Aust.
Thankyou so much BritInParis for all your help! We would never have known about all this without you. 😁😘
Old Oct 4th 2018, 10:36 am

Hi, I was going to update.. We finally received my husbands British passport! Only 2 days ago.
And I have sent off for my childrens Irish birth registry last week. We are moving end of November and will enter UK getting kids the normal holiday Visa upon entry. Hoping the citizenship comes thru in time so we dont have to get the other Visa or return to Aust.
Thankyou so much BritInParis for all your help! We would never have known about all this without you. 😁😘
Glad to hear you’re making progress.

It might be worth firing off an email to the Irish Embassy to explain the situation and see what the timeframes are for birth registration and passport processing. They may be able to hurry things along for you.

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/australia/contact-us/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.