Wikiposts

Brit by descent Aussie ..lost British Passport

Old Apr 29th 2014, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Souldiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit by descent Aussie ..lost British Passport

Hi all ...
Im really hoping that someone can help me as Im getting more and more confused the more I read!!
Basically my Partner was born in Australia so holds an Australian Passport but is "British by Descent" so also had a British Passport when younger.
He lived in the Uk for many years when he was young but then went home to Australia for the last 25 years or so. He is now wanting to come and stay with me in the UK for a year or so whilst we plan our next moves but His old British Passport has obviously expired so he needs to renew it ... the trouble being that he has lost it over the years ....
Is it a straightforward thing so that he can get back his Brit Passport?? He doesnt have any passport numbers to provide as it is lost.
Does he apply in Aus or Uk??
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply xx
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:44 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit by descent Aussie ..lost British Passport

All British passport applications are now processed in the UK. He'll need to make an online application to HMPO at https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

As well as the online application he'll need to complete Form LS01 if he has lost his previous passport. Don't worry if he can't remember the details; just complete as much as possible.

It's also likely he'll be treated as a first-time applicant. I take it he was born in Australia before 1983? As such he should include his original Australian birth certificate, his father's original British birth certificate and his parents' original marriage certificate.

If he needs to get copies of any UK documents he can order them from the GRO for a small fee. For any Australian documents he'll need to go via the state government website in which the event took place.

HMPO will also want his original Australian passport. Don't send it in - only send a colour photocopy and attach a note saying the original needs to be retained for travel otherwise he could wind up having no passport at all for a couple of months.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Souldiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brit by descent Aussie ..lost British Passport

Thankyou so much for your reply ... yes he was born before 1983 .. I will pass on all this info and start the process... Whoever knew falling in love could be so complicated!!! xx