Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Bringing Canadian wife to UK as visitor & applying for visa inside UK is it possible?

Bringing Canadian wife to UK as visitor & applying for visa inside UK is it possible?

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing Canadian wife to UK as visitor & applying for visa inside UK is it possi

Originally Posted by BritInParis
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...cessing-times/

The processing times are based on January's performance for applications lodged in Canada.

It's not difficult per se as long as you meet the requirements but it's an expensive and protracted process that'll will take at least five years before your wife will became eligible for a British passport. An Italian passport will allow her to live and work in the UK immediately without restriction as an EU citizen.
...... but how long does it take to get an Italian passport, bearing in mind Italian bureaucracy?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing Canadian wife to UK as visitor & applying for visa inside UK is it possi

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
...... but how long does it take to get an Italian passport, bearing in mind Italian bureaucracy?
No idea to be perfectly honest but I would suggest it's an avenue worth exploring even if it's obtained during the 27 months after the initial visa is issued. Much cheaper and flexible in the long run and the OP's wife can still apply to naturalise as a British citizen after five years' residence should she choose to.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by josephforbes
Two weeks, really? Its says twelve on the site, but I guess they are just covering themselves. Well the Italian is really a long shot, from what I have read I'm entitled to it and so is my wife, but Its more of a joke than anything else. Why would it be easier, is it that difficult to get one?
If you pay for priority processing, it is much faster. I received my visa back in 8 days from when I sent my documents in - mid-November 2013 in Canada.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The UK spouse visa will be a quicker and a safer route than the EU route and you are able to sponsor her. As said, priority processing is very quick.

With a UK spouse visa, once she has her visa, any new rules UK immigration rules won't affect your wife.

With the EU...who knows what will happen. EU rules change and often change retrospectively. The UK might come out of the EU. That route is all ifs, buts and maybe.

EDIT - I thought the new EU rules on the back of the McCarthy case, meant that a dual national UK/another EU country, can no longer use the EU route to bring a non-EU to the UK, unless they use their free movement rights in another EU country?
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/1547/made

Last edited by formula; Apr 24th 2014 at 12:57 am.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

The British visa could easily be delayed through the system simply being understaffed, or through general error or lack of knowledge / incompetence. Plenty of people are getting them in reasonable timeframes but there are also those who aren't.

You will also need to reapply twice (in 2.5 and 5 years time) and part the fees and fulfill the financial requirements each time.

The Italian passport gives you both the automatic right to be in and work in the UK. I don't know about the quality or speed of the Italian system. I'd certainly advise getting the papers ASAP even if that is after moving to the UK - it will remove the risk of your wife being deported of you lose your job at the wrong time.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
EDIT - I thought the new EU rules on the back of the McCarthy case, meant that a dual national UK/another EU country, can no longer use the EU route to bring a non-EU to the UK, unless they use their free movement rights in another EU country?
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/1547/made
The OPs wife would be an Italian citizen, even if the UK leaves the EU I can't see then deporting Italians resident in the UK within 5 years