Bringing Australian husband to UK

Old Sep 28th 2015, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

ArabellaTurner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing Australian husband to UK

Hi,

My Australian partner and I are getting married in the UK in January. He will be going on a marriage tourist visa and then we will be returning to Australia.

In the future, we would like to move to the UK.

If I am earning over the threshold in Australia (ie the 18,600), does this count towards our visa application? Can I then just go to the UK with a job offer?

I lived in Spain for three years before coming to Australia and hold a residency number there. Can I use this to go the Surinda Singh route or do we currently have to be residing in Spain?

I'm pretty sure none of his grandparents were born in the UK but I'm not sure so I'm double checking.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 6:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing Australian husband to UK

If you have been working in Australia for the six months prior to making your application earning over £18,600 p.a. and you have a job offer in the UK for over £18,600 p.a. then your then-husband would be able to come with you when you move to the UK.

Surinder Singh would only work if you were living together in Spain prior to moving to the UK.

Check if any of his parents, grandparents or even great-grandparents were born in Europe. This may make him eligible for a EU/EEA passport that would bypass the need for a spouse visa.

Last edited by BritInParis; Sep 28th 2015 at 6:54 am.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

He definitely has a great grandparent or two that were born in the UK - would this qualify him for a EU/EEA passport? He's not sure about one of his grandfathers, we need to find out. There's a small chance he might've been born in Scotland circa 1900 before coming to Oz.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

And where would I find info about such a passport? Many thanks
Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

I think I may have answered my own question here... Do you mean if one of his great grandparents was from a country where great grandparents are an option for ancestry visas?

Would Ireland be amongst said countries?
Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArabellaTurner
He definitely has a great grandparent or two that were born in the UK - would this qualify him for a EU/EEA passport? He's not sure about one of his grandfathers, we need to find out. There's a small chance he might've been born in Scotland circa 1900 before coming to Oz.
If he has a grandparent born in the UK, then he could apply for an Ancestry visa. That visa is a work visa and can lead to settlement (British citizenship).
https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview
Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArabellaTurner
I think I may have answered my own question here... Do you mean if one of his great grandparents was from a country where great grandparents are an option for ancestry visas?

Would Ireland be amongst said countries?

The Ancestry visa is only for those that have a grandparent born in the UK (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales).

If a grandparent was born in NI then he could apply for a UK Ancesty visa and perhaps apply for Irish citizenship. Born in Republic of Ireland, then just apply for Irish citizenship.

At present, Irish citizens are allowed to live in the UK under an agreement between Britain and the RoI. They don't have to keep to strict EU citizen rules of being a Qualified Person at all times to have a right to reside in the UK, as other EU citizens must do.

I say "at present" as who knows what is going to happen to the EU as many countries are now calling for an end to free movement with the migrant crisis; and the UK have an IN/OUT vote in 2017. If the UK leaves I think RoI will have to stay as they rely heavily on EU money.

Last edited by formula; Sep 28th 2015 at 2:54 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, I'm hoping it turns out his grandad was born in Scotland but I don't think it's very likely Looks like we might have to go the spouse visa route.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A grandparent born in the UK would entitle him to apply for an ancestry visa. It also might possibly entitle him to British citizenship and a British passport depending on the grandparent's employment at the time of his parent's birth and/or the parent's place of birth.

An Irish-born grandparent would allow him to register as an Irish citizen and obtain an Irish passport. An Irish-born great-grandparent would only be useful if the relevant parent (i.e. his father or mother) has been registered themselves as an Irish citizen before he was born.