Biometric Residence Permit Name Change

Old Oct 8th 2018, 10:12 am
Just Joined

sera345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Biometric Residence Permit Name Change

Hello,

So I am currently living in the UK on an Unmarried Partner Visa - and we recently got married.

I intend to change my name, however I have a holiday booked in June next year that is under the passport in my current name. So obviously if I change my passport before then I'll have to pay change fees etc which I don't want to do.

Additionally I can only update my BRP once I have updated my passport, yet the various websites tell me I have to update my BRP within 3 months of a name change or I risk fines/my stay being shortened.

So my question is, how do they measure when you changed your name? If it's when you change your passport? Or when you've changed anything else major?

I just don't want to get caught out if they measure it by anything other than when your passport changed!!

Thanks for your help x
Old Oct 8th 2018, 10:40 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biometric Residence Permit Name Change

You’re not obliged to change your name when you marry. I suspect it will be easier and cheaper to continue to be known by your maiden name until after you return from your holiday after which you can update your passport and then your BRP and with those two documents you can then update everything else (driving licence, bank account, utilities, etc..)
Old Oct 8th 2018, 10:45 am
Just Joined

You're right, however I've jumped the gun a bit and asked my work to change my details already before I looked into what it would involve to change the rest, so I'm already one foot on this annoyingly complicated path. I suppose I could stop there for now but either way this is going to be a pain (had i known!!)
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:01 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sera345
You're right, however I've jumped the gun a bit and asked my work to change my details already before I looked into what it would involve to change the rest, so I'm already one foot on this annoyingly complicated path. I suppose I could stop there for now but either way this is going to be a pain (had i known!!)
Should’ve just booked the holiday in your husband’s name

Have you investigated how much the name change fee would be? I presume this is for a flight you’ve booked.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Should’ve just booked the holiday in your husband’s name

Have you investigated how much the name change fee would be? I presume this is for a flight you’ve booked.
Unfortunately some family members booked it without asking first... and so consequently don't have the flight details... You're right though I should see if I can find that out so I can compare what it's gonna cost me either way...
Old Oct 8th 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by sera345
Unfortunately some family members booked it without asking first... and so consequently don't have the flight details... You're right though I should see if I can find that out so I can compare what it's gonna cost me either way...
Ah, I see, not your fault then.

If it’s a matter of £50 or so then I would just suck it up and get on with it. If you hold an Australian passport then you can change your surname for free.