Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Before leaving the UK to go to the USA getting my husband and step son to become BC

Before leaving the UK to go to the USA getting my husband and step son to become BC

Old Jun 12th 2014, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Before leaving the UK to go to the USA getting my husband and step son to become BC

Hi all,

I haven't been on here for a while because we have decided to put our move to the USA on hold and are saying in the UK for a while longer.

My husband and my step son both are from the USA are here in the UK with me and have been since 2007 when I have to say on looking around the boards I seems that we were blessed to have moved back to the UK (I lived in the USA for 6 years with them) when we did.

Now they both have ILR visa's we were just going to move back to the USA (once I had completed getting my visa to go and move back to the USA, between the US and the UK I don even want to think about the amount of money that we have spent on immigration and flights!) I came on here to ask a question and lots of people told me to make sure that the pair of them became UK citizens before we leave the UK because I probably would struggle to get them both back in under the "new" rules.
Now my question is my step-sons US passport expires next year so we will need to get him a new US passport and get the ILR visa transferred over, I want to check because he will be 16 next year will we have any difficulties because of his age? Or is it just a simple thing to get done? (If that makes sense) After he does turn 16 will we have any issues getting him to become a UK citizen before we leave the UK?
Is it 2 years after they leave the UK that their ILR visa's become invalid? Is there any sign on the new rules on bringing in immigrant family members being changed? If so I would like to save the money to go through another lot of immigration steps so that we can leave the UK to go and live in the USA!

I really don't want to chance our family being split up for any amount of time in the future, I have raised my step son since he was 2 years old and he is my son in all intensive purposes (his biological Mom even refers to me as his Mum, and she has not spoken to him in over a year now) my daughter who is 11 is very blessed IMO and has both a UK and USA passport because I had her when I was living in the USA, she will never lose her UK passport is that correct?

Like I said we are not planning on leaving the UK for a while, (we want to get my son through his GCSE's and then review things after next year) we have put my USA visa on hold (we are half way through it) just want to cross our T's and dot the I's.

Thanks

K

OK I am sorry for rambling and I hope this makes sense
Old Jun 12th 2014, 9:31 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Before leaving the UK to go to the USA getting my husband and step son to become

Is there any reason why you wouldn't apply for their British citizenship straight away?

Providing they are eligible I would apply for your husband's and stepson's British citizenship as soon as possible as it can take several months for the process to be completed. The requirements for your stepson won't change until he turns 18. If your stepson becomes a British citizen before next year then he won't need to worry about getting a new ILR vignette as he'll be a citizen although he will need to renew his US passport before you return to the US.

Your daughter will remain a dual citizen.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Before leaving the UK to go to the USA getting my husband and step son to become

Hi, I purely comes down to the money side of things and as we are not going to be leaving the UK for a while so don't want to have to jump back into immigration right now.

I heard its around £1000 ish each is that correct?

Now if we are still here in the UK when my step son becomes 18 does the requirement to become a UK citizen change for him? Or is it still the same he has his ILR until he is out of the UK for 2+ years?