British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Baby with Aus passport only (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/baby-aus-passport-only-883400/)

steen1976 Sep 16th 2016 4:35 am

Baby with Aus passport only

Can't quite seem to find a definitive answer on this one so thought I'd throw it out.

My daughter will be 5 months old when we travel. Born in Aus but as I am a British citizen she would be too.

Can she enter the UK on her Australian passport if the intention is to live there or does she need to have a UK passport?

BritInParis Sep 16th 2016 7:02 am

Re: Baby with Aus passport only

The official answer is yes. Others may have successfully relied on an Immigration Officer's discretion at the border but for the sake of £50 I personally would not risk it. Access to services in the UK increasingly requires proof of your immigration status and without a British birth certificate you may find your daughter will require her British passport once she's back in the UK in any case.

mikelincs Sep 16th 2016 7:41 am

Originally Posted by steen1976 (Post 12053742)
Can't quite seem to find a definitive answer on this one so thought I'd throw it out.

My daughter will be 5 months old when we travel. Born in Aus but as I am a British citizen she would be too.

Can she enter the UK on her Australian passport if the intention is to live there or does she need to have a UK passport?

Get her her UK passport, it will make things easier, and there will be no risks.

steen1976 Sep 16th 2016 8:09 am

Only reason it's a problem is having to send off my UK passport.

BritInParis Sep 16th 2016 8:16 am

Originally Posted by steen1976 (Post 12053820)
Only reason it's a problem is having to send off my UK passport.

You don't need to do that.

steen1976 Sep 18th 2016 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12053825)
You don't need to do that.

Table B for parents documents it states "The passport you entered the country from which you are applying...."

BritInParis Sep 19th 2016 7:53 am

Originally Posted by steen1976 (Post 12055828)
Table B for parents documents it states "The passport you entered the country from which you are applying...."

It's not very well written but that's referring to the applicant's passport, not the parents'.

steen1976 Sep 19th 2016 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12055991)
It's not very well written but that's referring to the applicant's passport, not the parents'.

But the row for First British Passport in the Supporting Document table has a section for Current British Passport for the applicant which they have a cross in to indicate they do not require it - as the applicant would not have one.

Then Table B is for parents or adoptive parents documents only.

So if it's not their intention that the parent sends their passport then it's completely misleading.

BritInParis Sep 19th 2016 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by steen1976 (Post 12056202)
But the row for First British Passport in the Supporting Document table has a section for Current British Passport for the applicant which they have a cross in to indicate they do not require it - as the applicant would not have one.

Then Table B is for parents or adoptive parents documents only.

So if it's not their intention that the parent sends their passport then it's completely misleading.

I agree it's not very well written but anything that refers to 'you' or 'your' is the applicant regardless of their age.

steen1976 Oct 4th 2016 12:58 pm

I had ended up sending it off but it was all back within 2 weeks anyway. Great service - compared to the pathetic process and astronomical cost they force on you in Australia anyway.

spouse of scouse Oct 4th 2016 7:32 pm

Thank you for your valuable help everyone ;)