Australian wife, birth in UK?

Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian wife, birth in UK?

Originally Posted by porterpan
Thanks Luvwelly, that's quite right, there's no question that there is a reciprocal arrangement - both from published UK and Aus government docs and from personal experience. (UK side can be seen in bottom section of the following page http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074379)

My query remains the same: does the reciprocal arrangement cover maternity care/childbirth? I'd like to think that counts as 'essential hospital care', too, but we're not going to take a risk that it's not included!
With respect - I'm not sure how an online forum is going to give you meaningful advice on what is a complex legal question that probably requires the original text of an international agreement.

In addition, if you are living in SE Asia you need to think about whether you count as "Australian residents" if the agreement is based on residency rather than citizenship.

The problem with all this is that she has to arrive in the United Kingdom a few months in advance, with a 6 month stay, and then sort out the baby's UK birth certificate, UK passport, Australian citizenship by descent and Australian passport. Not the best situation to be in in another country without her own family around her. If having the baby born where you are living is not a good option, and moving to the UK is not what you want, then why not plan to have the baby born in Australia?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

In addition, if you are living in SE Asia you need to think about whether you count as "Australian residents" if the agreement is based on residency rather than citizenship.
One reason why I moved this from the Australia forum.
In addition, most people in there have either not moved yet, or moved a fair while ago. There have been many discussions in the UK forum about UK healthcare for non-residents/returning residents - far more than in the Aus forum.
There is a redirect in the Aus forum still to point people in this direction.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:35 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Just a point why do you want to have the birth in the UK? As previously said what is wrong with Aus or where you are living now? Why would you want to put a heavily pregnant woman through all the stress of moving etc?
The OP said about a work visa, what visa would that be. Is this all hypothetical or is the Australian Citizen actually pregnant now?

It is clear that as visitor to the UK not entitled to antenatal, delivery and post natal care. A premeditated visit to allow delivery is not correct however in the real world they will not turn her away at the point of delivery, but hopefully they will send you a bill so your use of services you did not contribute to does stop others who did accessing it.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I found this..it is under Scotland but as far as I am aware there is no difference for reciprocal health agreement in Scotland and England:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/He...reement/nonEEA

Australia
There is a specific health agreement between the UK and Australia. As well as treatment, the need for which arose during a visit, this also includes the provision of free renal dialysis treatment, subject to prior arrangement and spare capacity at a renal unit.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:41 am
Just Joined

porterpan is an unknown quantity at this point

Appreciating all your input. Thanks for taking time to respond and help

Agree it looks increasingly like the 'official' solution is complex (or perhaps just deliberately 'grey'). Even different NHS websites say conflicting things about whether it is Australian residency or citizenship that is relevant.

I agree JAJ that a forum won't give me a technical legal answer... hence my recent request for people with experience of this! Failing that I think the best way forward is direct contact with the overseas billing team in the specific hospital in question - they are the decision-makers.

"Why not in Australia?" - That's our plan I explained above that this exploration is in case we are unavoidably in the UK for family reasons. It would be less than ideal, but we need to know whether to make alternative arrangements for medical cover.

As much as I'm flattered by the concern & suggestions re family's travel plans, adminstrative details of child's nationality and my wife's well-being, (really I am!), in the gentlest way: we're all all too aware of these factors and they're not things we're looking to receive help with via this forum thread!!

Thanks again - anyone out there with experience of this?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
Just a point why do you want to have the birth in the UK? As previously said what is wrong with Aus or where you are living now? Why would you want to put a heavily pregnant woman through all the stress of moving etc?
The OP said about a work visa, what visa would that be. Is this all hypothetical or is the Australian Citizen actually pregnant now?
Thanks pennyless, my organisation talks about coming on a Working Visa - no more clarity than that at this stage so perhaps I need to push further there? I've responded to the location questions above... (which though well intentioned, together with several other questions have no bearing on the query!) It's hypothetical to the extent that we don't know if we'll be forced to be in the UK.

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
It is clear that as visitor to the UK not entitled to antenatal, delivery and post natal care. A premeditated visit to allow delivery is not correct however in the real world they will not turn her away at the point of delivery, but hopefully they will send you a bill so your use of services you did not contribute to does stop others who did accessing it.
With respect, this is exactly what is not yet clear - even NHS depts are refering me to other NHS depts to clarify the import of the reciprocal health agreement. As to whether my wife has contributed to the services or not, this is also something that the agreement would clarify - Australian tax dollars may possibly entitle her to treatment, just as UK tax entitles many Brits to various treatments in Australia. So let's reserve judgements until a little later.

Please rest assured I'm not trying to wheedle our way into some free care that we're not entitled to! Nor do we have any intention of turning up unannounced at a hospital (even in the country) presuming to receive care. Some of the comments above make me wonder if I'm wearing a big 'freeloading benefit leech' sign
We are prepared to make alternative (read 'private') arrangements if they are required, but only once we're clear that's the only option. It looks like it might be... I'll post when NHS confirm or otherwise
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

This should answer some of your questions:

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...are-agreements

From a quick read of the site, it sounds like 'essential/emergency treatment is available during your visit to either country.

It states you need to be a permanent resident of Australia to qualify for these services
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:03 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Luvwelly, that's quite right, there's no question that there is a reciprocal arrangement - both from published UK and Aus government docs and from personal experience. (UK side can be seen in bottom section of the following page http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074379)

My query remains the same: does the reciprocal arrangement cover maternity care/childbirth? I'd like to think that counts as 'essential hospital care', too, but we're not going to take a risk that it's not included!

Anyone with recent experience of this?

I'm starting to suspect that central gov is deliberately vague about what's included in order to shift the decision-making responsibility (& liability) to the individual UK hospital providing care - perhaps contacting the local hospital is the next step forward.
is there really a reciprocal agreement for other than emergency care?
i was born and lived in australia most of my life, moving to the uk in 2002..then went back to australia in 2009, but was not entitled to free healthcare UNTIL i had a valid medicare card! to get the medicare card, i had to prove residency...even though i have now moved back to the uk, i still have the medicare card in my wallet, but if i returned to aus on a holiday and used it, i could get in trouble for that if caught!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
This should answer some of your questions:

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...are-agreements

From a quick read of the site, it sounds like 'essential/emergency treatment is available during your visit to either country.

It states you need to be a permanent resident of Australia to qualify for these services
yes that's useful, thanks. It's that funny term 'essential' again, but at least the Aussie side seems clear that a holding an Aussie passport is enough to qualify for the care.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone with recent experience of this?

I'm starting to suspect that central gov is deliberately vague about what's included in order to shift the decision-making responsibility (& liability) to the individual UK hospital providing care - perhaps contacting the local hospital is the next step forward.
Just read the page you mentioned. I think you missed out this essential bit of information on that page:

People Entitled to Some NHS Hospital Treatment – this is limited to treatment required for any condition that occurred after arrival in the UK (including pre-existing conditions which acutely exacerbate or need prompt treatment whilst here).

I would hardly call pregnancy an illness, so would not say it qualifies as a pre-condition (more a life choice).

Since your wife will be pregnant prior to flying in to the UK this definitely does not put it into the "condition that occurred after arrival in the UK"

If you deliberately fly into the UK for your wife to give birth then you should be paying for it.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Just read the page you mentioned. I think you missed out this essential bit of information on that page:

People Entitled to Some NHS Hospital Treatment – this is limited to treatment required for any condition that occurred after arrival in the UK (including pre-existing conditions which acutely exacerbate or need prompt treatment whilst here).

I would hardly call pregnancy an illness, so would not say it qualifies as a pre-condition (more a life choice).

Since your wife will be pregnant prior to flying in to the UK this definitely does not put it into the "condition that occurred after arrival in the UK"

If you deliberately fly into the UK for your wife to give birth then you should be paying for it.
mmm thanks. doesn't look promising does it!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Just heard back from an NHS hospital (overseas visitor dept). Whilst Aussie government site linked above (#22) says holding Aussie passport and medicare card is adequate to qualify, the NHS say it is current residence in Australia that counts.

I will raise this discrepancy with them, but I don't expect it anything to change... & since the NHS are the ones who will give us a bill or not, I think that pretty much settles it.

As confirmed above, the Working Visa option would indeed make my wife eligible. Thanks everyone for pointers and suggestions Will only post again if any significant change emerges.