Aussie marrying UK citizen

Old Apr 24th 2016, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

ausssieinnl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Aussie marrying UK citizen

Hi,
I have a few questions regarding the "family of a settled person" visa.
My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 months and my UK working visa recently expired so I've moved to The Netherlands. I have a Australian passport and he has a British passport. We are looking at getting married in the UK in a few months but are unsure if we'll get denied if the home office thinks it's just for a visa. We are in a legitimate relationship and aren't getting married for a visa.
How long is the process once you submit your application?
Would it be better to get married in the Netherlands and then apply?
Do they keep my passport the whole time they are looking into the visa?
If they say no to the visa, can we appeal?
Is the "family of a settled person" visa the correct visa we should be applying for?
Thanks so much in advance for all your help!
Old Apr 24th 2016, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie marrying UK citizen

Originally Posted by ausssieinnl
Hi,
My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 months and my UK working visa recently expired so I've moved to The Netherlands. I have a Australian passport and he has a British passport. We are looking at getting married in the UK in a few months but are unsure if we'll get denied if the home office thinks it's just for a visa. We are in a legitimate relationship and aren't getting married for a visa.
Is the "family of a settled person" visa the correct visa we should be applying for?
What is your visa / immigration status in the Netherlands?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

I have a working visa
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Australia is not a high risk country for that type of fraud and if you can demonstrate that your relationship is legitimate then there's no reason why an ECO would think otherwise. Meeting the financial requirements is likely to be your biggest hurdle.

Count on two to four weeks, less if you opt to pay for priority processing.

It won't make a difference to your application. It would depend on whatever is more desirable/convenient for you. If you wanted to marry in the UK instead you could apply for a marriage visitor or fiancée visa first although that would be a more expensive way of doing it.

Yes.

You can do although unless you have grounds for the decision to be overturned then there's little point in doing so. Much better to get the application right in the first place.

Yes, unless you want to go down the fiancée visa route. Or you have a British/Irish/European parent or grandparent which would entitle you to an ancestry visa or EEA/EU passport.

You are welcome.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for all your help!
He does earn enough for the financial requirement thankfully.
Going to start getting everything together so we can apply soon. Do you think it's worth hiring a immigration lawyer or visa company? Or is pretty straightforward and we could do it ourselves?
Old Apr 25th 2016, 7:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for all your help!
He does earn enough for the financial requirement thankfully.
Going to start getting everything together so we can apply soon. Do you think it's worth hiring a immigration lawyer or visa company? Or is pretty straightforward and we could do it ourselves?
No, it's a waste of money and they'll just as likely screw it up for you than get it right.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Ok great, thanks for all your help!
I have one more question sorry, once I have the visa do I have to stay in the UK until we are married or am I allowed to go on holiday in Europe for say a week or so and then return to the UK?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:19 pm

Ok great, thanks for all your help!
I have one more question sorry, once I have the visa do I have to stay in the UK until we are married or am I allowed to go on holiday in Europe for say a week or so and then return to the UK?
For the fiancée visa? You'll have six months after the visa is issued to enter the UK, marry and lodge your spouse visa. You can come and go from the UK as you please within that six month period.