Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Settlement Visa before Family Visit Visa has Expired

Applying for Settlement Visa before Family Visit Visa has Expired

Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:29 am
Next chapter awaits

HighCaper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Settlement Visa before Family Visit Visa has Expired

Hi everyone

I'm so grateful for this forum as it is by far more helpful than any other source for Visa information.

I'm British and my husband (and Step-daughter) are both South African. We are applying for their Settlement Visas in June 2016 as my Step-daughters mid year school term ends then.

However, my husband wants to accompany me to UK in April to check out work opportunities (to start only when he has his Settlement Visa). I have the following query that I can't find an answer anywhere.

My husband wants to accompany me to UK on a Family Visit Visa from April to June and then travel back to SA to apply for his Settlement Visa.

My worry is that my husband will have been and returned on that Visit Visa but Visit Visas are valid for 6 months, so the Visit visa will not have expired before he applies for his Settlement Visa. Can anyone advise ?

Thank you
Old Jan 10th 2016, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Settlement Visa before Family Visit Visa has Expired

Originally Posted by HighCaper
Hi everyone

I'm so grateful for this forum as it is by far more helpful than any other source for Visa information.

I'm British and my husband (and Step-daughter) are both South African. We are applying for their Settlement Visas in June 2016 as my Step-daughters mid year school term ends then.

However, my husband wants to accompany me to UK in April to check out work opportunities (to start only when he has his Settlement Visa). I have the following query that I can't find an answer anywhere.

My husband wants to accompany me to UK on a Family Visit Visa from April to June and then travel back to SA to apply for his Settlement Visa.

My worry is that my husband will have been and returned on that Visit Visa but Visit Visas are valid for 6 months, so the Visit visa will not have expired before he applies for his Settlement Visa. Can anyone advise ?

Thank you
You can't hold two visas to the UK and the new visa will automatically cancel any previous visa.

Last edited by formula; Jan 10th 2016 at 1:54 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

He can apply for a settlement visa while the visit visa is still valid,

As said, once the settlement visa is issued the visitor visa becomes void.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 7:57 pm
Next chapter awaits

Thanks Formula & Sandiagogirl

That's exactly what I wanted to confirm.

I didn't want my husband to apply for a Visit Visa to come 3 months earlier if it meant he had to wait until the 6 months Visit Visa expired before he could apply for his Settlement Visa ! Mainly because my step daughter needs to start school in September.

On the off chance, have you had any experience or heard anything about any specific information needed for the Settkement Visa applicatiom process for a step child ?

Once again thank you
Old Jan 10th 2016, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You, the British spouse, has to sponsor your husband and step child, so the requirement goes from 18,600 to 22,400 income per annum.

I noticed that you mentioned your husband going to the UK to research for jobs, but it is you that has to qualify for the financial requirements before you enter the UK - or have I misunderstood your plans?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 4:00 am
Next chapter awaits

We qualify for the Visa with Savings for both husband and 1 child. Going to UK early is just to make work enquirers and check out possible opportunities so we're not out of work for too long once we move there.