Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Application Question: Was the applicant a British national at birth?

Application Question: Was the applicant a British national at birth?

Old Oct 24th 2014, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

JRuss87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Application Question: Was the applicant a British national at birth?

I'm applying for my first British passport, claiming citizenship by descent. With regards to the question at the beginning of the application "Was the applicant a British national at birth?" what would the appropriate response be ?.

I've already done the research, parents aren't married but claiming it through my mom who's British by birth, born in 1987 etc etc.

Anyways, if anyone could advise me whether I select "Yes" or "No" to this question would be greatly appreciated.

Old Oct 24th 2014, 7:39 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application Question: Was the applicant a British national at birth?

Originally Posted by JRuss87
I'm applying for my first British passport, claiming citizenship by descent. With regards to the question at the beginning of the application "Was the applicant a British national at birth?" what would the appropriate response be ?.

I've already done the research, parents aren't married but claiming it through my mom who's British by birth, born in 1987 etc etc.

Anyways, if anyone could advise me whether I select "Yes" or "No" to this question would be greatly appreciated.

You where born in 1987? You are British (by descent) from birth. Tick yes.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

JRuss87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Application Question: Was the applicant a British national at birth?

Originally Posted by 37100
You where born in 1987? You are British (by descent) from birth. Tick yes.
Yes, I was born in 1987

Thanks for the help !
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

gullane has a reputation beyond reputegullane has a reputation beyond reputegullane has a reputation beyond reputegullane has a reputation beyond reputegullane has a reputation beyond reputegullane has a reputation beyond reputegullane has a reputation beyond reputegullane has a reputation beyond reputegullane has a reputation beyond reputegullane has a reputation beyond reputegullane has a reputation beyond repute

Under the UK 1983 Nationality Law,the answer is "YES".You don't decide what your Nationality is,that is for the British Government.I have two children who are British Citizens and they have never lived in the Uk,because I am a British National and by birth
they are born British Citezens.You will need a copy of your mothers passport,birth certificate,also your birth certificate which shows her as your mother.It is easier when it
is the mother and not the father when they are not married.you have no problem and good luck.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you became a British citizen by registration or naturalisation then the answer is yes. This would include being a British citizen by virtue of birth (born in the UK) or by descent (born abroad to a British parent).