Ancestry Visa

Old May 4th 2019, 3:11 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ancestry Visa

Hi there

Bit if background info: I’m a British citizen living in Canada with PR status and a Canadian citizenship application in processing. My partner, is a Canadian citizen. His Grandmother on his father side was born in the UK and then emigrated to Canada (she never became a Canadian citizen)

i was hoping he was eligible for British citizenship but apparently unlike Ireland, in order to get British citizenship it has to be the parent that was born in the UK - is that correct.

He might be eligible for the ancestry visa but reading on .gov website, it seems like it’s only if you want to go and work in the UK. Right now we both want to stay in Canada but was thinking in the future if I have to go home for a family emergency, he would have easier time coming with me.

Are there any other routes he can take to get citizenship?

Thanks in advance
Old May 4th 2019, 3:24 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ancestry Visa

As a Canadian citizen then your partner can visit the UK for up to six months without a visa. If you wanted to move back to the UK then an UK Ancestry visa for him would be the easiest option by far for him to join you. From what you’ve said so far he doesn’t appear to have a claim to British citizenship.
Old May 5th 2019, 12:37 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
As a Canadian citizen then your partner can visit the UK for up to six months without a visa. If you wanted to move back to the UK then an UK Ancestry visa for him would be the easiest option by far for him to join you. From what you’ve said so far he doesn’t appear to have a claim to British citizenship.

Thank you for the information
Old Jun 18th 2019, 5:52 am
Just Joined

johnalbclark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Beckiwoo,

I was wondering how you are going with this, I am in exactly the same position with my wife. any help advice would be great