American again, requesting relo ideas

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:55 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Default Re: American again, requesting relo ideas

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I believe sile would be wise to start thinking in pound sterling, rather than US dollars.

By my calculations, the rents sile states she can pay are anywhere between £600 to £820 per month.

656 - 923 according to the currency converting app I use.

I can't help but think in USD right now, but I use this calculator when looking at rentals online.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:56 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by rebs
Have you looked at other places along the South Coast?

As mentioned before, the climate here is quite gentle and if you don't go too far west it is generally fairly dry.

I am situated just outside of Bournemouth and I would say that areas in and around Bournemouth & Poole would pretty much tick all of your boxes.
Great! Thank you. I will look into those, too.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think I mentioned this on another thread where Eastbourne came up, but my soon-to-be-former PhD student is from there and she and her boyfriend (or life-partner, or whatever is the "in" term these days) absolutely love it there. She is very active (runs, cycles, swims) and it sounds like it is perfect for outdoor activities like that.
Thanks for that. It really looks lovely. I looked at rentals and they look nice for the money.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by izzi81
hehe not having visited Detroit I couldn't be sure, but having lived in Glasgow for nearly 7 years I find it crowded, litter-covered, scruffy, scary after about 8pm, with quite a few areas I wouldn't go to at any time of day! Plus there are also a lot of scruffy scary people as well. Some people might describe the place as 'lively', but that's not a word I'd choose

The OP mentioned wanting pretty surroundings... so unless the budget is massive probably best to discount Glasgow lol.

Edinburgh is lovely, but perhaps too expensive. Perth is also lovely, and Dundee is much nicer than the reputation it seems to have.
I think Edinburgh would be nice, but I agree, it looks like it would be a bit expensive at the moment. The Scottish Borders area looks really nice, and the house rentals there are VERY reasonably priced. If only it weren't so rural.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
I think Edinburgh would be nice, but I agree, it looks like it would be a bit expensive at the moment. The Scottish Borders area looks really nice, and the house rentals there are VERY reasonably priced. If only it weren't so rural.
Doesn't meet your mild weather prerequisite though either as you are in the more decidedly chilly North, though Edinburgh is dryer than Glasgow, being further east.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAw&dur=3768

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 23rd 2013 at 5:08 pm. Reason: hours of sunshine
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
If you are over 60, you are eligible for a senior rail card (costs 28 pounds a year):

http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/

which gives you a third off on off-peak rail travel, such that:

Eastbourne London (1hr 30mins) return for the day incl London underground or buses - 22 pounds.

A National Express bus ticket with over 60s card (11.50 pounds incl postage for a year) costs around 9 pounds return from Eastbourne to London Victoria and you would need to add the underground fare of approx 6 pounds* - direct service takes 2hr 45mins to 3 hrs 15mins for the approx 75 mile journey.

*4 pounds if you have an over 60s rail card, as above.

Eastbourne is about 22 miles from Brighton and the (with rail card) day return by rail is 6.60 pounds and the trip takes about 33mins each way.
Thanks Pete. I'm not 60 quite yet, but it's good to know about that rail card.

Thanks for all the details!

Can you bring a dog on a train there? I believe I read that somewhere...
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

656 - 923 according to the currency converting app I use.

I can't help but think in USD right now, but I use this calculator when looking at rentals online.
For that kind of budget you could live well almost anywhere in the country... except London I guess....

Alnwick
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-24414255.html

Hexham
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-37302196.html

Corfe Castle
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-26033910.html

Skipton
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25977513.html

Also plenty of nice places in York and Harrogate and, off course the South coast for that price.

Last edited by transatlantic; Feb 23rd 2013 at 5:14 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Depending on the source of her US income, sile needs a plan to allow for fluctations. She can't count on the continued decline of sterling especially if her dollars are fixed.

http://www.moneyweek.com/investments...e-dollar-62430
Interesting article, rebeccajo, thanks.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pete. I'm not 60 quite yet, but it's good to know about that rail card.

Thanks for all the details!

Can you bring a dog on a train there? I believe I read that somewhere...
Sorry to anticipate your seniority wrongly!

Not a problem, those dogs:

http://www.takeyourpet.co.uk/12/info...ts+and+Trains/

Just no livestock .
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking to avoid rain (as much as possible in the UK)
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by transatlantic
For that kind of budget you could live well almost anywhere in the country... except London I guess....

Alnwick
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-24414255.html

Hexham
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-37302196.html

Corfe Castle
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-26033910.html

Skipton
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25977513.html

Also plenty of nice places in York and Harrogate and off course the South coast for that price.

Wow, those are all really lovely! How did you know what kind of places I would like ?

Last edited by sile; Feb 23rd 2013 at 5:17 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Sorry to anticipate your seniority wrongly!

Not a problem, those dogs:

http://www.takeyourpet.co.uk/12/info...ts+and+Trains/

Just no livestock .
That's ok...I'm not far from it

I don't own any livestock...
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps07dff170.gif
It's interesting that the areas in the south-west in dark blue are mostly the higher ground of Bodmin Moor, Dartmoor and Exmoor which the rainfall can get off, while the brownish areas around Exeter and Sedgemoor east of Bridgwater are lower ground and got enough rain recently to cause a great deal of serious flooding.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 23rd 2013 at 5:25 pm. Reason: and Exmoor
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps07dff170.gif
Strange, I expected Glasgow to be purple (or black).
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Strange, I expected Glasgow to be purple (or black).
Was just looking at the small mileage difference between the heavy rainfall in North Ayrshire and Greenock area and Glasgow, I guess, and the dryness of the area around North Berwick/Gullane east of Edinburgh.

But then we get about two and a half times the rainfall (at about 120 ins per annum, we had 20 inches in one day three years ago) here of the folks who live just twelve miles away to our north.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.