Am I eligible for citizenship?

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:18 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice
Default Re: Am I eligible for citizenship?

Originally Posted by aes2253
Thanks, I thought that they probably had to do that first, but now they can get going on it. One more question for you (as you are going to be applying soon) on the required documentation, the first item is your passport. My kids have never had a passport......how about you?
Looks like all I will need to send are my US passport, US Birth Cert and her expired UK passport.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:20 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rory22
Hi i wonder if anyone can give me any advise?

My name is Rory, my family and i moved to the states when i was 5 (i am now 22) we had green cards and were resisdents. Due to my father loosing his father his mother was on her own and we had to move back to look after her. as i was only 5/6 i didnt have much of a choice! and i was obviously to young to try move back there until now.

As i am now 22 i am desperate to move back there. i have lots of friends out there still who i visit quite alot. Ive researched on the net a little bit and seen i may be able to apply for a SB 1 visa? is this possible?

Any advice would eb greatly appricated.

Rory
Rory when you say you moved there and moved back to help your Grandmother then could you specify where exactly you moved to and back to? Little confusing sorry.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

aes2253 is an unknown quantity at this point

what great info.......thanks. Good luck on your application, it sounds like you have everything covered. Obviously my kids are adults, all married etc., and I just found out that they are British by descent (didn't realize the law had changed regarding descent from mothers) and I would love to have them have the documentation....guess we may have our work cut out for us but it will definitely be worth it. Thanks again.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:28 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

what great info.......thanks. Good luck on your application, it sounds like you have everything covered. Obviously my kids are adults, all married etc., and I just found out that they are British by descent (didn't realize the law had changed regarding descent from mothers) and I would love to have them have the documentation....guess we may have our work cut out for us but it will definitely be worth it. Thanks again.
I found out this info back in the summer of 2009 that it was going to change the beginning of 2010 so I have been keeping track and go to all the UK sites to keep updated. They have also just changed it to where I don't think we will have to pay a fee now since we are not living in the UK. There will be a consulate fee for the ceremony but if you google the nearest British Consulate to you they have their fees online for you to see. Thank you for the kind words and I hope your children get started if they would like this. I am the baby and I am now 52 So this is something I have always dreamed of and won't let it pass me by.

Oh and one more thing. Your grandkids will not be able to apply to be citizens even though their parents become UK citizens. Now if their parents moved over to the UK for 3 years they could change and be naturalized then their children can apply. It only goes down the descent by the first generation after you. Sad because I would love my kids to apply but that is ok.

Last edited by creamern; Apr 3rd 2011 at 11:31 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

I did read that they fee has been waived, just the consulate fee will have to be paid. I live in Michigan and the closest consulate is in Chicago, just a 3hr drive so I 'm hoping my kids will all do this together, I would be so proud to see all of them go through the ceremony together
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:38 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

I did read that they fee has been waived, just the consulate fee will have to be paid. I live in Michigan and the closest consulate is in Chicago, just a 3hr drive so I 'm hoping my kids will all do this together, I would be so proud to see all of them go through the ceremony together
Now they each have to apply separately since they each will have to use your expired passport. And when it is accepted and the consulate gets in touch with them they will only have a 3 month window in which to attend the ceremony so I am not sure how that will be but as long as they get it is what counts! I would love to have my sister and brother do it with me but we have to use Mum's passport so 3 months then get it back and the next one sends it off and waits 3 months so it would take about 9 months in all for each of us to get out citizenship if it takes that long. And we can't wait for the other to get it back or we will loose our window for the ceremony. You can call the consulate and ask them more about this but I am pretty sure this is how it will be.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

I did know about the grandkids, and like you I would love to be able to have my grandkids be able to apply......but they know their British heritage and I don't let them forget it....lol. I have been tracing my lineage for the last several years and have all kinds of records to pass down to my descendants.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:42 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

I did know about the grandkids, and like you I would love to be able to have my grandkids be able to apply......but they know their British heritage and I don't let them forget it....lol. I have been tracing my lineage for the last several years and have all kinds of records to pass down to my descendants.
My sister has done our lines along with our cousin's in the UK and I think she has us back to the 1500's now. She has been at this for hmm wow maybe 10 years now. Mum was an only child but her Mum was one of 13 and her Dad was one of 6 plus the war so the family was spread out. We have cousins in New Zealand now we see and Mum's 1st cousin lives in Melbourne. Mum was born in Kings Cross London so we had a nice tour around in 2004 thanks to her cousins. She just turned 83 in Feb.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

If everybody has to do this separate because of my expired British passport, then I guess we will have to throw a big party when the last one has their ceremony. It's been great chatting with you
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:44 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

If everybody has to do this separate because of my expired British passport, then I guess we will have to throw a big party when the last one has their ceremony. It's been great chatting with you
A big party is a must! Hope it all turns out well and nice chatting with you as well.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by creamern
My sister has done our lines along with our cousin's in the UK and I think she has us back to the 1500's now. She has been at this for hmm wow maybe 10 years now. Mum was an only child but her Mum was one of 13 and her Dad was one of 6 plus the war so the family was spread out. We have cousins in New Zealand now we see and Mum's 1st cousin lives in Melbourne. Mum was born in Kings Cross London so we had a nice tour around in 2004 thanks to her cousins. She just turned 83 in Feb.
That's great, I have gone back as far as the 1500's on my maternal grand father's side also and back to the 1700's on my maternal grandmother's side (she is scotch) Unfortunately, my Dad was adpoted so I haven't been able to find much on that side of the family. My Mum was born in Croydon (also part of London) and I have cousins who have kids in Australia also. Small world isn't it.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:52 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

That's great, I have gone back as far as the 1500's on my maternal grand father's side also and back to the 1700's on my maternal grandmother's side (she is scotch) Unfortunately, my Dad was adpoted so I haven't been able to find much on that side of the family. My Mum was born in Croydon (also part of London) and I have cousins who have kids in Australia also. Small world isn't it.
Yes it is and my Granddad's mother was Scotch as well and came from Paisley! Who knows what all the info will tell us! Mum was a Riley and her Mum was a Philpott. Funny things have happened!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:02 am
Just Joined

OMG, my great, great grandmother died in Paisley in 1902, her maiden name was Agnes Turner and she married my great, great grandfather James Lowie from Dalmeny, Linlithgowshire.......I know there is no relationship, but just mentioning the same small town is just WOW.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:05 am
Son's call me a Nomad!

OMG, my great, great grandmother died in Paisley in 1902, her maiden name was Agnes Turner and she married my great, great grandfather James Lowie from Dalmeny, Linlithgowshire.......I know there is no relationship, but just mentioning the same small town is just WOW.
How crazy is that?? I will pass along this info to my sister just to see if anything pops up. Her name was Mayo but I think her Mother's name was McKennzie but not sure at the moment the correct spelling. See I told you..who knows we might be related!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:18 am
Just Joined

okay, I have McKenzie's in my scotch ancestors....Mary McKenzie, born 1842 in Lanark, my great, great grandmother on my maternal side. she married David Gray from Edinburgh.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.