Am I a British national?

Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

lamyaara is just really nicelamyaara is just really nicelamyaara is just really nicelamyaara is just really nicelamyaara is just really nicelamyaara is just really nicelamyaara is just really nicelamyaara is just really nice
Default Am I a British national?

I am currently a citizen of the United States. I was born in Jamaica on 12.3.82 and lived there for most of my formidable years before moving with my mother to the United States. I am currently 28 years old. I am writing to ask whether or not I qualify as a British national? And if I do, do I apply for citizenship or just a passport.

My father became naturalized in 1966 as according to his naturalization papers from the National Archives of the United Kingdom. So, as I gathered from my research according to the British Nationality Act of 1981, as my father being naturalized before my birth I am possibly a British national. Also my parents were never married, but in regards to legitimacy that I read on the website it wouldn't have matter because the country (Jamaica) I was born in considers all children born after 1.11.76, whether in or out of wedlock, legitimate.

I do not know if it matters but my in regards to this but my father died on 12.6.1999.

I would appreciate you advice and assistance. Thank You very much.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I a British national?

Sorry I don't really know but I am guessing not- hopefully I am completely wrong.

Generally - it seems-that the parent passing on their British citizenship should be born in UK, or the child needs to born in UK (child is someone under 18). I guess these criteria try to track a connection with UK, but I could be completely off track.

Good luck. A good source of info will be the British High Commission website. Their phone lines are exhorbitant.

(My Australian born British daughter will not be able to give citizenship to her kids unless they are born on UK soil, so am basing my assumptions on this)
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I a British national?

Before anything else - ignore post #2 ... well meaning, but completely wrong advice.

If your father was naturalised (or registered) as a UK citizen in the United Kingdom in 1966, then he is British otherwise than by descent and you might well be British if Jamaica abolished the concept of illegitimacy.

IF your father was still domiciled in Jamaica when you were born ... when did he leave for the UK and when did he return?