Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Advice needed: Canadian married to Brit, considering moving back to UK

Advice needed: Canadian married to Brit, considering moving back to UK

Old May 1st 2022, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Eabie has a spectacular aura aboutEabie has a spectacular aura aboutEabie has a spectacular aura about
Default Advice needed: Canadian married to Brit, considering moving back to UK

So... my British husband and I have been living in Canada since 2013. He's been suffering from some mental health issues the last few years in particular which have made his employment situation kind of unstable. Currently, he is technically employed at a local hospital, but he hasn't worked since August due to anxiety. I've been considering whether it might be better for him, both mentally and (ultimately) financially, if we returned to the UK, where he could be around his family and friends.

Now, I've got a job where I *can* work from home, also for a local hospital. Right now, I'm working from home full time, and I know that there are hospitals who allowed it permanently, for the kind of role I have, even before the pandemic. Would it be theoretically possible for me to move to the UK while keeping my current job, if I was able to work from home full time? Like... how would that work in terms of taxes? Would they grant me a visa if I maintained that employment? Would the UK consider my Canadian income as part of their calculation for the minimum income requirement for spousal visas, if we explained that I'll continue working in the UK? Obviously, the hospital will only pay into a Canadian bank account, so accessing the money would be an issue as well.

It's just something I'm somewhat vaguely musing about right now, but you have to start somewhere, right? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Eabie; May 1st 2022 at 3:51 pm.
Old May 1st 2022, 3:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed: Canadian married to Brit, considering moving back to UK

If you're looking at a spousal visa, then your income isn't relevant at all, it's only the Brit's income that is applicable to the visa app. So that may be an issue if your husband isn't currently working. Would an employment based visa be an option maybe?

Taxes you'd pay in the UK, as you'd be tax resident and working there.
Old May 1st 2022, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

MrFlibble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice needed: Canadian married to Brit, considering moving back to UK

Do you have equity in your house? You could sell the house, release the equity and make a spouse visa application using cash as the way to meet the financial requirement. You need £62500 to do this.
Old May 1st 2022, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you British husband cannot sponsor you through employment income, then you can use savings, and or non employment income.
Read the following document carefully to see how you could qualify. From Page 37 onwards.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...equirement.pdf

As stated above, without any sort of income you need 62,500 GBP in savings.
Old May 1st 2022, 10:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a British or Irish born parent or grandparent then you could bypass the need for a spouse visa.
Old May 2nd 2022, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eabie
T

I've been thinking, however, that he might be able to get his old job back before we moved to Canada. The managers there still remember him fondly because we used them as a reference for a job application here. It's only part-time, and wouldn't meet the £18,600 requirement, but I can't overload him with work right now. I think he could do this job because (assuming it hasn't changed) the hours were very good for him, and I think being around his family, and knowing that it's essential for me to stay with him, he'd be able to do it. I'm just thinking about it as an option, should a vacancy there arise.

I read somewhere that you could use savings to compensate for the remainder of the income requirement if you don't meet it. I don't know exactly how the math works for that. But... and I know I might be stretching here... but if he got his old job back, and we travelled back (me as a visitor, not on a spousal visa), then we could stay with his family for a while as I continue doing my work from home, he works his old job, and we save some money.

Since hubby is not currently working, any job he takes in the UK he will need to work in it for 6 months before he could sponsor you. Yes, you could enter the UK as a visitor, but you would need to return to Canada to complete the application.
The formula for savings in your case is:

Take the shortfall in income, x by 2.5 and add 16,000 GBP eg. Income is 12K so shortfall is 6,600; x by 2.5 = 16,500GBP; plus 16,000GBP = 32,500GBP needed in savings.
Old May 2nd 2022, 1:05 am
Just Joined

Eabie has a spectacular aura aboutEabie has a spectacular aura aboutEabie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Since hubby is not currently working, any job he takes in the UK he will need to work in it for 6 months before he could sponsor you. Yes, you could enter the UK as a visitor, but you would need to return to Canada to complete the application.
The formula for savings in your case is:

Take the shortfall in income, x by 2.5 and add 16,000 GBP eg. Income is 12K so shortfall is 6,600; x by 2.5 = 16,500GBP; plus 16,000GBP = 32,500GBP needed in savings.
Ah, you were too fast for me. I deleted my response before I realized you had already quoted it. My thinking on the matter is changing pretty fast... savings is clearly out. I looked at the chart in that link you provided. We do not have, and are nowhere near having, those kinds of savings right now. But £18,600 (the minimum income) is not actually that much. Unless I'm mistaken, it's a tick above a full-time job at minimum wage, is it not?

Granted, his ability to work right now is an issue. But I also think that a return to family and familiar surroundings might benefit him a great deal; I don't need to get into it, but I think there are particular reasons why it's difficult for him right now, right here. Anyway, he seems somewhat open to the idea of moving back, because I have floated the idea to him. And I've sent a question to his sister who works for the NHS about jobs at the hospital and how much he might be able to make there, since he does have hospital work experience here in Canada.

I don't mind returning for the application. It's expensive to travel, but honestly, it's not more expensive than me completely supporting him right now.

We'll see. All I know is that the current situation isn't tenable, and if I can move while keeping my current job, I'd be very open to doing it.