Advice needed

Old Nov 30th 2022, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

LS74Uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed

Hello, new member here. Been in USA for 22 years now. Have 14 & 17 year old USA born children that I am trying to obtain British citizenship for. Complicated by fact that I was born outside the UK to British born parents. I am confused to say the least, can’t navigate the process as it seems so complicated. Any help or guidance would be well received. Thank you
Old Nov 30th 2022, 8:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed

What year and where were you born? What were your parents’ occupations when you were born? Did you live in the UK for any length of time prior to your children’s births?
Old Nov 30th 2022, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Born 1974 in Zambia, Africa. Father was a teacher at the time. Mother a stay at home mum I suppose. Both parents born and raised in England with the exception of two three years secondments in Zambia.
I have Lived in England for approximately 19 years (on and off total) before moving to USA in 2000. Have not lived in UK essentially since 2000 (apart from a few months here and there) but have visited frequently and regularly.
Old Nov 30th 2022, 10:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

When you say ‘secondment’ do you know who your father was working for at the time and how he was recruited?
Old Nov 30th 2022, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

He always explained it as “a government initiative” at the time to send teachers out there. There were a lot of other European teachers doing the same thing. I’ll try to find out the exacts.
Old Nov 30th 2022, 11:51 pm

If it was a UK government scheme and he was recruited in the UK then there’s a good chance his employment would be considered Crown or designated service in which case you would be British otherwise than by descent meaning your children are already British citizens by descent and you need only apply for their passports. I would however strongly recommend consular birth registration as a way to future proof evidence of their eligibility for British citizenship.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 12:44 am
Just Joined

Thank you, I was wondering about that aspect too. I will definitely register them at the British consular here in the meantime.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 12:52 am

We should ensure they are eligible before you apply as the second generation born outside the UK are typically not automatically eligible for British citizenship.
Old Dec 1st 2022, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

I agree and that’s what I’ve been trying to do. Would be good to know before paying the fees.

I’m currently in the process of completing an MN1 application (if I remember rightly) to register a UK citizen in the .gov website. I think they’re eligible since my parents are UK born and so British citizens otherwise than by descent and I had lived in the UK for 3 consecutive years prior to their birth. I think that was clause 3(2)? Does that sound right?

My father says that he was hired by the DRZ (Democratic Republic of Zambia) to teach there but with recognition by (some department of) the UK government at the time. They (the UK) paid into his national insurance and paid him a wage while out there. He thinks he may still have some paperwork. Helpful?

thank you!
Old Dec 1st 2022, 3:14 pm

To clarify, consular birth registration and registration as a British citizen are two different processes. The former is optional and only available to those born after 1983 who have an automatic claim to British citizenship. It costs £150 per applicant. The latter is for those who do not have an automatic claim at birth but meet the qualifying criteria at the time of application.

A MN1 application would cost £1,012 per child so if your children have an automatic claim then this would far preferable. If your eldest is 17 years old however then this becomes time sensitive if Form MN1 proves to be the only option.

If your father was salaried in the UK then this would be supporting evidence in your favour. If your father can locate and share any related paperwork then that would be a definite help.