ADULT CHILDREN GETTING UK PASSPORTS

Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:04 am
Just Joined

LouWhit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ADULT CHILDREN GETTING UK PASSPORTS

UK citizen living in US for 28 years. I have 2 children in their 20's - US citizens. Did not register their births with British consulate. Can they still apply for British passports as offspring of UK citizen? I would like them to have the freedom to join me in the Uk at anytime after I move back.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 5:00 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADULT CHILDREN GETTING UK PASSPORTS

Originally Posted by LouWhit
UK citizen living in US for 28 years. I have 2 children in their 20's - US citizens. Did not register their births with British consulate. Can they still apply for British passports as offspring of UK citizen? I would like them to have the freedom to join me in the Uk at anytime after I move back.
Your children are British by descent and entitled to a British passport if you or their father are British otherwise than by descent.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Your children are British by descent and entitled to a British passport if you or their father are British otherwise than by descent.
Except that if they were born before 1983 (not so likely if parent has been in the US only 28 years) and the British parent is the mother, there are additional formalities to acquire British citizenship.

And if the British parent is the father, not married to the mother, they may not be British at all (and not necessarily able to get it, either).
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

They were born after 1983 (1987 & 1990)and their mother is the UK citizen, so I think they should be able to get them.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:20 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I was working on the fact that you said 'living in the US for 28yrs'. My youngest was born in Italy in 1984 and obtained his passport through me. His elder brother, obtained a UK passport same way (British by descent), but had to be registered first so it wasn't as straight forward.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 10:14 am
Just Joined

OK Thanks for the info, will do more digging.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouWhit
OK Thanks for the info, will do more digging.
Based on the facts - your children should apply for British passports if interested to prove whether or not they have citizenship.