3 year residency rule for uni

Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Ayala123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 year residency rule for uni

I looked into this last year for my 14 yr old son who has been living outside the EU with me for the past 6 years. I wanted to find out if he would have to pay to go to a community college to do his GCSE's and A levels if he returned at 16.
The rules may be slightly different for a community college than for university, but basically we were told by the college admissions office (who see how the rules are applied in practice) that it would be fine, as even though he was living abroad with his mother, his father and grandparents had been residents of the UK all this time so that meant he still had family ties in the UK.

As for you having a US fiance - I don't think that means you intended to stay there - it could equally mean that you intended that he should come to live in the UK with you.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice2passports is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have a bit more time to respond than I had the other day.

The individual universities are the ones who would make the decision, not UCAS. You should contact their Registry Office (you should be able to find contact details via a search of their Web site) and ask for a fees assessment form (it may be downloadable from their site, or they will email you a copy).

It's always worth a punt, but in these cash-strapped times, I think a lot of universities will be leaning more towards anything that will bring in more money, including classifying you as an international student.

I would stress the fact that your family has been in the UK all this time as a sign that you were overseas on a temporary basis - can't guarantee this will work, and ironically this may be interpreted by some universities that you have abandoned your home status (by choosing to leave your family in order to study overseas). I noticed also that you have a US fiance - further evidence (in their eyes) that you had intention to abandon your UK residence status.

Good luck with it - as the saying goes, you can't win if you don't try. All it takes is one university to say yes (but this may mean you won't get your first, or second, or third, choice university).

Have you looked into the Open University?
dunroving, it seems this is your area of expertise, so I was wondering if you have any thoughts about the following situation: We are planning to move back to UK so our daughter can attend 6th form college. This means we will hve been resident for 2 years when she starts uni. Do you think it is possible for us to pay international fees for the first year and then switch to domestic for the last two years of uni? Or does she simply need to do a gap year?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
I read through both of these sources in detail as part of appealing the fees status of a postgrad student, described in my thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672934

- despite the specifics of the definitions contained in these documents, there is a certain amount of discretionary leeway, and the success of my postgrad student's appeal (after paying international fees for 6 years) is a case in point. It's worth a punt unless you are clearly nowhere near satisfying the home fees requirements.
what I would like to know is why does the 3-year rule apply to a new citizen who has been given their passport 'instantly' (no ILR requirements etc), e.g. by descent- a new citizen who has never been to the country before is given citizenship with all the rights because that is what they are entitled to EXCEPT if they want a university education at 'normal' rates they will have to wait 3 years in their new country.
That does not make sense.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 2passports
dunroving, it seems this is your area of expertise, so I was wondering if you have any thoughts about the following situation: We are planning to move back to UK so our daughter can attend 6th form college. This means we will hve been resident for 2 years when she starts uni. Do you think it is possible for us to pay international fees for the first year and then switch to domestic for the last two years of uni? Or does she simply need to do a gap year?
Once you start you will pay international fees for the full term of the degree course. So as you mention she should wait another year to ensure the three year residency requirement is met.