Veg*anism in China

Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

beansprout is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Veg*anism in China

Hi, I am moving to Lengshuijiang (Hunan) to teach in a couple of weeks and have had conflicting advice about veg*anism. I will be living there for at least a year and for the most part I will be self-catering. However, I was wondering if anybody had any advice on eating out, or eating at Chinese people's houses. How do you explain veg*anism and is there enough variety in restaurants?

Bx
Old Aug 9th 2012, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of
Default Re: Veg*anism in China

Hi,

What is veg*anism

vette
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

beansprout is an unknown quantity at this point

Vegetarianism/veganism. I would preferably like replies from people who are already vegetarian or vegan and have experience of eating out in China But if anybody has any information, I am very grateful. x
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Hi,

OK,

Thanks fro the explanation.
I have nothing to add.

Vette
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:35 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a vege-anything.

No idea about vegan, but a veggie should be fine, restaurants generally have a good selection of vegetables, I found no objections to me walking in to the kitchen and pointing at ingredients I wanted for a dish, if you can speak a Chinese language then so much the better.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

It will be a challenge as they like to put pork on many vegetable dishes. They don't understand the concept of vegetarianism. You will get vegetables as requested but you will also get meaty things with it and its usually chopped up so tricky to remove.

Even a vegetable soup will probably have chicken stock in it !!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

When I visited China a couple of years ago, I was dining in a Muslim restaurant in Nanjing. Thought I would be safe with the food there but they even served pork to cater to tourists
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Supernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to all

It will be difficult, even if you don't see meat on your plate, it will very likely be cooked in a pan which had meat in it before, or cooked in meat based stock. They throw pork around like it is pepper.
I've ordered a meal before for my friend, telling them he was vegetarian, dish came with shrimps. They said 'whhhhat it's only shrimps!' this is in HK however...
Old Aug 18th 2012, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

So when do you arrive in China?

vette
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Not-Arrogant-Just-Better is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit meet up.com for Hong Kong and you will find a Vegan Group. They meet up and visit different restaurants etc.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Not-Arrogant-Just-Better is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, just saw you are moving elsewhere, have a look anyway, maybe there is a group on there.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Not-Arrogant-Just-Better
Sorry, just saw you are moving elsewhere, have a look anyway, maybe there is a group on there.
The issue is not Hong Kong. Being a vedgy in HK is no problem. Plently available restaurants. The problem is the mainland where they sprinkle vedgetables with chopped pork !! and cook all soups in chicken broth and cook everything else by deep frying !! YUK