Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Shanghai - visa required for British Citizen?

Shanghai - visa required for British Citizen?

Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Shanghai - visa required for British Citizen?

Do I need a visa to enter mainland China if I intend to travel via Hong Kong? I have HK permanent residency.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shanghai - visa required for British Citizen?

Originally Posted by discobay
Do I need a visa to enter mainland China if I intend to travel via Hong Kong? I have HK permanent residency.
Yes.

Mrs JTL
Old Oct 21st 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yes.

Mrs JTL
Yep, very simple answer that one. I think every country needs a visa for China. Why not, most countries require the Chinese for visas to enter other countries...
One day, some agreements will be reached I hope...
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:17 am
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you definitely need a visa going into mainland China. It's only when going to HK that you don't need one.
Enjoy Shanghai!! I loved it!! I'm definitely moving back there next year and I can't wait!!!! China is fab!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:50 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Yep, very simple answer that one. I think every country needs a visa for China. Why not, most countries require the Chinese for visas to enter other countries...
One day, some agreements will be reached I hope...
Japanese and Koreans don't, I believe.

Pretty much all westerners do though.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:24 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Japanese don't, I believe.
Correct - I know someone who visited China recently.

Anyone know how much a visa for British citizen costs currently?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
Correct - I know someone who visited China recently.

Anyone know how much a visa for British citizen costs currently?
It's about 50 or 60 quid I think or £100 if you want an express issue inside 1 working day, the process isn't difficult either.

That's from over in the UK though, not sure how much you would have to pay to apply from Tokyo. I thought that was the case regarding Japanese citizens though because I remember my OH saying that she wouldn't need to get one when we were looking at going to Beijing.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:12 pm

It's about 50 or 60 quid I think or £100 if you want an express issue inside 1 working day, the process isn't difficult either.

That's from over in the UK though, not sure how much you would have to pay to apply from Tokyo. I thought that was the case regarding Japanese citizens though because I remember my OH saying that she wouldn't need to get one when we were looking at going to Beijing.
I thought about applying for one a few years back (to go on a quick package trip with the missus) but gave up in semi disgust when discovering the visa for UK national was something like 13 or 15 thou Yen, must be cheaper now I reckon. Not good timing to go there now anyway.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:43 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I thought about applying for one a few years back (to go on a quick package trip with the missus) but gave up in semi disgust when discovering the visa for UK national was something like 13 or 15 thou Yen, must be cheaper now I reckon. Not good timing to go there now anyway.
That price sounds about right for the express option, it could have changed since then though like you say.

You could even be exempt if you're in Japan on a permanent Gaijin card, like most holders of permanent US green cards can visit the UK for up to 90 days regardless of nationality, so it might be worth looking into that to see if it's an option.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:51 pm

That price sounds about right for the express option, it could have changed since then though like you say.

You could even be exempt if you're in Japan on a permanent Gaijin card, like most holders of permanent US green cards can visit the UK for up to 90 days regardless of nationality, so it might be worth checking that out.
Nice one - I might well have found the excuse I needed to attempt to change my visa to permanent resident! Seriously though, our office is swamped with Chinese visitors at present and we've been invited to go over there a few times this year (OH already went twice on business). I just can't drum up much enthusiasm though.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:59 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Nice one - I might well have found the excuse I needed to attempt to change my visa to permanent resident! Seriously though, our office is swamped with Chinese visitors at present and we've been invited to go over there a few times this year (OH already went twice on business). I just can't drum up much enthusiasm though.
Good luck with that, I believe they're really funny about it unless you're on spousal already or have a Japanese spouse.

I'm not saying for sure that's the case either but it's definitely worth a good googling to check out.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

As long as you avoid national holidays, when travel is a pain, China is harmless enough. Westerners get stared at a lot, asked for photos near scenic spots....but there are some great things to see and the food is excellent.
Avoid buying fake goods though. they are cheap for a reason !
Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:48 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by andrewrh
Westerners get stared at a lot, asked for photos near scenic spots....
That happens in Japan as well though, I was once quizzed by a group of school kids who wanted to practice their English on a trip to the Golden Pavillion in Kyoto.

I agree it isn't to the level of China though, one of my mates went there a few months ago and had tons of teenagers coming over to him and posing with the peace symbol whilst their friend took a picture.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent 3 months in India and there is no comparison... In China they stare at you and ppoint out the laowei's, in India about 20 people grab you. I got groped and almost attacked, my friend was groped also several times. At least in China the people don't try to grab at you and follow you!

They staring game is quite funny in China though... just stare at something (anything) long enough and wait to see how many Chinese people come to stare at it with you... if you stay serious long enough it's quite amusing.