Quarantine in Hong Kong

Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Stel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quarantine in Hong Kong

I'm a UK citizen currently living in China. I am planning to go to Hong Kong to live and work. My problem is I have a cat that I would like to bring with me. Does anyone know whether Hong Kong has any quarantine laws or procedures? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Stel.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine in Hong Kong

Originally Posted by Stel
I'm a UK citizen currently living in China. I am planning to go to Hong Kong to live and work. My problem is I have a cat that I would like to bring with me. Does anyone know whether Hong Kong has any quarantine laws or procedures? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Stel.
If I were you, I'd look at the Chinese government's immigration website and pages on bringing in pets. There's likely to be information there about what needs to be done about bringing in your cat to Hong Kong.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stel

Stel.
Stel,

Check on the Agriculture, fisheries and Conservation Department's web site.

There is an online thing you can check if your pet qualifies for import permit to Hong Kong.

Pets from Mainland China (Group III country) are subject to 4 month quarantine. I put in some randomly information and date and got the following results:

Results of The Assessment
Your pet has met the basic requirements.
* But your pet is subject to a minimum of 4-month quarantine period. The minimum quarantine fee is $5520 for $46 per day. * Your pet also needs to be fully vaccinated against canine/feline diseases. Rabies vaccination is recommended.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Information of your pet ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal Type : CAT
Date of Birth : 19/02/2002
Pregnancy : No/Not applicable for male animal
Country/Place : China Mainland (Group III)
Residence : Since 05/05/2003
Departure Date : 11/07/2005
Rabies Vaccination : Not yet
Other Vaccination : Vaccinated on 15/04/2005

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

Basic Requirements:
Minimum Age Requirement : 8 weeks, to be quarantined until 5 months old.
Maximum Pregnant period : less than 4 weeks
Minimum Residence period: since birth or 6 months
The permit is valid for 180 days, you should apply for the permit within 180 days before departure.
Rabies Vaccination: fully vaccinated not less than 30 days and not more than 1 year
Rabies vaccination for animals coming from Group I countries is not required.
Other Vaccination : fully vaccinated not less than 14 days and not more than 1 year

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Stel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi NC Penguin and Jack the Lad

Thanks for that information and thanks for such a quick response, I shall look into this over the weekend and see whats the best option for my little cat. I might also pop into Beijing at the weekend and investigate the possibility of getting her vaccinated for rabies here in China. Thanks again for your help.

Stel.