nappy valley - hong kong?

Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:34 am
Just Joined

onesarahalderman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default nappy valley - hong kong?

we have a friend who lives in an area of hong kong nick named 'nappy valley'.

does anyone know where this is?

thanks
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nappy valley - hong kong?

Originally Posted by onesarahalderman
we have a friend who lives in an area of hong kong nick named 'nappy valley'.

does anyone know where this is?

thanks
I'm guessing "Happy Valley" as it rhymes with Nappy Valley. Its Chinese name literally translates to Horse Racing Land ("Paw Maa Dei") as that's where one of the horse racing courses is located. It's just south of Causeway Bay.

It's mainly a residential district with some good bars and restaurants.

Mrs JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jul 26th 2007 at 10:13 am.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

onesarahalderman is an unknown quantity at this point

is it very family orientated - hence the nick name?

we too are thinking of moving to HK and want to know which areas are best for families with small children. any advice would be great.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

I wouldn't say it was family orientated although I could be wrong.

I stayed there for a week last year in a friends apartment that overlooked the racecourse.

I got a cab which dropped me off about a minutes walk away (the apartment was on a tiny side street that cars couldn't go down). I was immediately hassled by guys (in fact this was generally my experience around HK and I never felt safe, also being followed several times while out shopping)

Lots of expats live in this area because of it's close proximity to the business district so for all intents and purposes this is a well to do area.....not sure what that says about HK, perhaps if you are a guy you will have a better experience.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:00 am
Just Joined

jaykayhk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by freckles1970
I wouldn't say it was family orientated although I could be wrong.

I stayed there for a week last year in a friends apartment that overlooked the racecourse.

I got a cab which dropped me off about a minutes walk away (the apartment was on a tiny side street that cars couldn't go down). I was immediately hassled by guys (in fact this was generally my experience around HK and I never felt safe, also being followed several times while out shopping)

Lots of expats live in this area because of it's close proximity to the business district so for all intents and purposes this is a well to do area.....not sure what that says about HK, perhaps if you are a guy you will have a better experience.
There are quite a few families and expat families in the area, although there are better areas for families per se. Not sure about the post written above as it's generally accepted that HK is one of the safest cities in the world, probably second only to Singapore. But it is busy so be prepared!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:32 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving to Hong Kong with a young family you would be better moving to Delivery Bay on Lantau!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

I would agree. Lantau is a fantastic place, and certainly it is nice to get away from the hustle and bustle (and smog) of the ciry.

Great beaches too which is a bonus
Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Maiden_uk82 is an unknown quantity at this point

I stayed on Lantau last year with my other half on Valentines, lovely place, the bus journey around the steep misty winding mountain roads was a tad scary though, got the ferry back to HK island, very quick and cost peanuts Are there not expats in Stanley? I swear I saw a school full of European looking children when I last went
Old Aug 11th 2007, 6:22 am
Just Joined

jaykayhk is an unknown quantity at this point

There are pretty much expats all over HK. The only parts where they are a little thin on the ground is in the more northern parts and some areas to the west. Other than that you'll find good communities, bars and schools elsewhere.