Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

This may sound almost cliché but

This may sound almost cliché but

Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Chatmat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This may sound almost cliché but

I'm 22. I feel like I don't fit in over here (UK)
I've visited Hong Kong before and it felt like I was 'home'

I went there as a holiday though so it was easy to sort that out, but how would I go about moving over there? I understand about the living there for 7 years & working visa, but I'm not sure how to get sorted with a place the second I get there and such. I have a good amount saved but I dont want to go there and end up having to come home after my 90 days are up.

you could say I'm mostly clueless :')
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:58 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This may sound almost cliché but

Hi

As with anyplace, that which you see on holiday is not that which you'll experience on a day-to-day basis. In fact, it can be quite a shocking difference.

That said, the best way would be to find a job that would 'send' you there, as in at the very least providing for your airfare and some other assistance. Now getting a job with a 'package' when you are 22 is a bit difficult unless you have a very impressive CV. You can look at UK employers who are hiring staff in HK.

If you want to just try the 'arrive and try to survive' route you wouldn't be alone. There are plenty who come over to look for a job and occasionally do the "Macau Run" or "Thailand Run" to top up their visa waiver with an additional period of time (though if you get caught you'll get sent home). If you have a UK passport I think you get 180 days not just 90 days. Plenty of folks come over and look for a job during that time and then re-enter once they have a work visa.

You haven't said much about your skills or experiences or career desires so I'm not sure what visas you would/wouldn't qualify for.

You can check out the Hong Kong specific expat forum of http://geoexpat.com. They'll give you a bit more advice on how to get started.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Penguin, just had a look at that forum and there seems to be less threads than we have on here?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:34 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

That's odd. There are hundreds, nay thousands of threads specifically on Hong Kong, dozens of which were posted on just today.

There might be some weird thing where non-registered or newly registered don't see everything right off the bat.

Try this link:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:45 am
Just Joined

MWeaver is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chatmat
I'm 22. I feel like I don't fit in over here (UK)
I've visited Hong Kong before and it felt like I was 'home'

I went there as a holiday though so it was easy to sort that out, but how would I go about moving over there? I understand about the living there for 7 years & working visa, but I'm not sure how to get sorted with a place the second I get there and such. I have a good amount saved but I dont want to go there and end up having to come home after my 90 days are up.

you could say I'm mostly clueless :')
If you're serious about moving there it would be good to review their immigration policies which could change from time to time. Recently I heard their rules on residence status grants have changed.
By the way, I'm 23, and I was also tempted to "arrive and survive" in HK. I'm sure I could do it, too. It still sounds like a good idea for our age =) But just now things are a little pressing at home.
I suggest you lower your expectations and start on a low-risk if low-paying job for a stepping stone. After you're comfortable, start looking around for more profitable endeavours.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:12 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I say give it a go, you're still young and free so you haven't got much to lose. If you don't go you'll never know !
Old Dec 25th 2011, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

MWeaver is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I say give it a go, you're still young and free so you haven't got much to lose. If you don't go you'll never know !
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Chatmat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your input guys
I'm not 100% sure on how to find a job and such from here. would I go over there for the 90 days and then find a job or find one before I go? Cause I know you need a sponsor. just things like that. I know how to go for a holiday, but not to go to live xD
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:50 am
Just Joined

ren13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly would NOT advocate coming over here withut a job. Those days are long gone. I arrived on spec with 2 suitcases and got a job teaching, registered and started within a week or two. However , that was 34 years ago and we were not under chinese rule and things were vastly different, you need a work visa, you really do.