Living Advice Hong Kong

Old Sep 14th 2014, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Alexander101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living Advice Hong Kong

Hi. about to finalize a contract to move to Hong Kong. I have a large family with three children (ages 3,6,9) so quite concerned about space.

Allowance I will be given is (so I am told) generous at 80,000 HKD per month - kids will need to go an International British school but not sure of availability.

Will be working around Quarry Bay. All advice as to where to live very welcome as am just at the beginning of the process.!
Old Sep 15th 2014, 2:00 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Advice Hong Kong

Hi,

First things first. Pick up the phone and get in touch with the schools ASAP. Like today. If you are talking about entering schools during school year 2014-15, you are going to find yourself in a situation of "any port in a storm" as there simply aren't any places. Some of the top international schools are far overbooked with wait lists that stretch years long (yes, years). Some schools, like the main British international school (Kellett), starting taking names for the wait list at birth.

If you are looking to start school in 2015-16, then you also need to get cracking as the application season has just commenced and you need to get your kids in to the mix so they can interview in December/January (all international schools conduct assessment interviews to make sure your kid is ready for school).

Is there any chance your company will spring for a debenture to get your kid an admission slot? That will guarantee you admission into the school if your kid passes the interview.

You might consider joining this Facebook group and talking to the "head girl" Ruth Benny who runs an advisory service to help people get into schools. She keeps her pulse on the schools that have openings and those that are waste of time (overbooked).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hkschools/

I know this sounds doom and gloom, but the problems with international schools is severe and prevents many expats from relocating. Some will split their family with the kids staying in the home country until there is a school slot open, others will opt for Singapore, and others will simply opt not to come.

The headache of finding a school place in Hong Kong - Telegraph

Expats leave Hong Kong over lack of schools - Telegraph

Expat Parents in Hong Kong Feel School Squeeze - WSJ

I'm assuming the $80k is your housing allowance. That's a decent enough package, and far more than the vast majority of Hong Kongers or expats would see for housing. I should note, however, that there are plenty of places $80k won't get you into in many parts of the city, so if you are expecting obscene opulence and luxury for $80k you might be a bit surprised. On my part of Midlevels Central there are probably 12 major buildings, 3 of which are under $80k, 3 are right around $80k and the rest are over that). Still, I think you can easily find a decent place with quite a few amenities (pool, gym, playroom [ very important for kids ], security, parking).

The best way is to just recommend you look at Buy & Rent Homes - Square Foot - Hong Kong Apartments, Homes, Real Estate for Sale or http://gohome.com.hk (both have English options) and do a search of neighborhoods to see what $80k will offer you.

My first suggestion on neighborhood would be "close to the school" you select and "commutable to work". This is a bit of a balancing act since you don't know one end of that equation. Many expat families will live on the South Side (Repulse Bay, Chung Hom Kok, Stanley, Tai Tam, Red Hill) but there are also families in the Midlevels, Happy Valley, Jardines Lookout. There is a place called Discovery Bay and Park Island, both ferry commutable communities separated a bit out of the hustle of the city, and many expats opt for more space (though with a longer commute) by living in Clearwater Bay or Sai Kung or even other areas of the New Territories. Really gets down to:

1) price
2) commute (kids & school)
3) space demands
4) lifestyle (urban / suburban / rural)

If you are able to focus a bit more on neighborhoods we might be able to offer more information on commutes or even specific buildings, though I should note the HK group is rather small here and you might consider opinions on other expat boards like Hong Kong Expats - Forums, Classifieds, Resources for The Expat in Hong Kong :: Hong Kong GeoExpat

Last edited by penguinsix; Sep 15th 2014 at 2:04 am.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Alexander101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living Advice Hong Kong

Thanks. That is immensely helpful - really appreciate it. Will get on to the schools asap!