Job in hong kong

Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Brucie93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job in hong kong

I currently live in Scotland. I have been struggling to find full time employment for some time now (around 2 years). I've done work placements, been signed on and still don't get any opportunitys. I work part time but that job has no future for me. I am hard working and keen for working.
I know getting a job in Hong Kong I would need to learn a bit of Chinese (simplified). I was born on Hong Kong, due to my parents being in the military. I have two birth certificates, British and Chinese.
Does this make me technically a Chinese or Hong Kong citizen?
If, or if not, how would a 20year old go about trying to get a career over there?
If no one can help, would you know who I could speak to or email?
Thanks brucie.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job in hong kong

Look good luck and I hope you get some info here.

But what makes you think HK would be better for you than UK.

Qualifications????
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:17 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brucie and welcome to the forum. As you can see, I'm not in Hong Kong, many miles away, so cannot help you with your questions. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out.

As Ex-Reg said, it's a tough world out there at the moment workwise. Best of luck to you.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

If it was pre 1997 handover you would have had no problems. No visa or work permit required and plenty of work available and you could even have joined the Police Force. But now its like anywhere else. You will need a work permit and the general rule is that your employer would have to demonstrate that there is no one available locally (including expatriate permanent residents) that could do the job. Therefore the more experience and higher your qualifications, the better chance you will have of getting a work permit approved, provided of course that you can get a job offer.

I have no idea on whether you being born here will help your cause, but I suspect it won't. Worth checking though.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Brucie93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help. Not sure what I'm going to do but will figure something out, I might need to work on some higher qualifications before getting a work visa etc. thanks again