Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong- tell me it isn't true!

Hong Kong- tell me it isn't true!

Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Nina2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hong Kong- tell me it isn't true!

Everyone says you can’t live in anything bigger than a shoebox on HK island –

My husband and I (no kids) are relocating to HK in March 2007 and would appreciate help with areas to live- we want an 90 sqm (1000 sq.feet) apartment in a good area with good views!, good access to central (less 20 mins), amenities around, pleasant area to live, sociable- for about 30,000 HKD- is this possible?!!!
Or too much to ask?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong- tell me it isn't true!

Originally Posted by Nina2007
Everyone says you can’t live in anything bigger than a shoebox on HK island –

My husband and I (no kids) are relocating to HK in March 2007 and would appreciate help with areas to live- we want an 90 sqm (1000 sq.feet) apartment in a good area with good views!, good access to central (less 20 mins), amenities around, pleasant area to live, sociable- for about 30,000 HKD- is this possible?!!!
Or too much to ask?
Yes $30,000 will find you a decent place in Mid-Levels Central, Mid-Levels West and Happy Valley (all considered good residential areas), if you are not looking for a brand new apartment. If you go further away from the Mid-Levels, you'll get newer/bigger apartments, slightly higher floor, and perhaps more for your money, and still be able to get to Central in 20 minutes on public transport or taxi.

See this link for some current listings.

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 30th 2006, 2:57 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yes $30,000 will find you a decent place in Mid-Levels Central, Mid-Levels West and Happy Valley (all considered good residential areas), if you are not looking for a brand new apartment. If you go further away from the Mid-Levels, you'll get newer/bigger apartments, slightly higher floor, and perhaps more for your money, and still be able to get to Central in 20 minutes on public transport or taxi.

See this link for some current listings.

Mrs JTL
Seconded.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Nina2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies.

Mrs JTL when you say further than mid-levels and still 20mins into central- which spcific areas do you mean?

Also are harbour views only possible from high-rises? as we would prefer a low-rise

thanks
Nina
Old Nov 30th 2006, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nina2007
Thanks for your replies.

Mrs JTL when you say further than mid-levels and still 20mins into central- which spcific areas do you mean?

Also are harbour views only possible from high-rises? as we would prefer a low-rise

thanks
Nina
You can live as far as Taikooshing or Quarry Bay, to the east, and can get to Central on the MTR (equivalent to the Tube) in less than 20 minutes. Or Pokfulam, to the west and use the mini-buses or taxi. For harbour view, yes, you would probably need to have an apartment on a higher floor of a high-rise building, otherwise you're blocked by taller buildings in front of you. There are low rises (well, relatively low, 10-15 stories high) in the Mid-Levels which may have a glimpse of the harbour but they're rare. Just remember you've gotta pay a bit extra for the harbour view too because everyone wants it. I wouldn't worry about the view too much because most of the harbour is blocked by high-rise commercial buildings along the harbour front anyway.

If you want a bit of social life, Mid-Level West/Central is good for easy access to the bars and restaurants in Central (Lankwaifong etc) via the outdoor escalator. Happy Valley is handy for bars and restaurants in Happy Valley and Causeway Bay. Since HK is so small a place especially if you are thinking of living not too far from Central, you shouldn't have problem finding night life - most places are within short taxi ride.

Mrs JTL
Old Dec 1st 2006, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here's another property site which is more user-friendly than the one I posted earlier - it's still the luxury property division of the same company though.

http://www.statelyhome.com.hk/Distri...dlDistrict=100

Mrs JTL
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Newbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really nice

Try this site www.gohome.com.hk and www.asiaexpat.com they might help
regards
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

jaykayhk is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're really looking for a low rise then you will need to look at south side of the island or across the harbour.

Take your 20 mins and make it 30 and you can start to look at places like Discovery Bay. On Lantau Island - it makes sense if you have kids but is a bit Stpeford Wives there. But green and quiet. Sha Tin, another area on NT / Kowloon border popular with longer term expats and those doing business both in HK and China. You're budget will just get you into areas such as Sha Tin Heights. Tsueng Kwan O is another area, both Village houses and High rises with views of Harbour - and about 20 mins by train to central. So plenty of choice!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:14 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Manhattan Heights in Kennedy Town, which is within your requirements for travel and price I think. KT is a 'local' area with a couple of expat buildings. We had a great view of the water, though it was pretty industrial (mostly freighters, helicopters to Macau, etc).

But you might want to check it out.

http://www.manhattanheights.com.hk/

My advice on HK is rent a place for a month or two (a corporate apartment) before settling on a longer term lease. You'll discover things walking the streets that websites and agents won't tell you. I also recommend haggling a bit on the price. We got our 2br knocked down several thousand HK$ with just a little effort.

By the way, when you get to HK and walk around the area surrounding your building, you'll see tons of listings for flats that simply aren't on the websites or in the advertisements. Don't think that a unit is taken (or available) just because it is on a website--wait til you get there and you can usually find a bargain.