Hong Kong - prepaid SIM?

Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hong Kong - prepaid SIM?

Hi,

Dropped in from the USA forums as I'll be visiting HK next month.

I have the necessary mobile phone for HK but can I easily buy a prepaid/paygo SIM when I get there? Any recommendations for good companies/shops/deals? Any that include data plans?

Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

river gipsy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hong Kong - prepaid SIM?

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
Hi,

I have the necessary mobile phone for HK but can I easily buy a prepaid/paygo SIM when I get there? Any recommendations for good companies/shops/deals? Any that include data plans?

Thanks
Hi,Dropped in from Goa forum,my daughter lives in HK,so i know you can get the prepaid/paygo sim.sorry i cannot help with the rest, i do not know and she will be sleeping at the moment.enjoy HK
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:08 am
Just Joined

jaykayhk is an unknown quantity at this point

Prepaid SIMs no problem at all. All of the phone providers do them - 3, Vodafone, CSL, Peoples, New World, PCCW / Sunday. All have shops in all corners of HK.

For even more convenience 7-11 also sell PCCW SIM cards. They can be purchased at other outlets to.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:09 am
Just Joined

AlvinR will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Hong Kong - prepaid SIM?

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
Hi,

Thanks
Oh you really no need to worry about a prepaid sim coz u can buy them easily from any phone company ...i'll give u the names. Pccw,Sunday,Smartone...these shops are found so easily on the streets jus step onto the busy streets in hk and u'll see big banners everywhere don't buy a prepaid sim from 7-eleven they rip u off .....LOOK FOR "3G" IT'S A GD COMPANY N U CAN FIND IT EVERYWHERE
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:16 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I recall they used to have a pre-paid vending machine in the Tsim Tsai Tsui subway station, along with a few other places. It's really not tough to find one.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I recall they used to have a pre-paid vending machine in the Tsim Tsai Tsui subway station, along with a few other places. It's really not tough to find one.
I'm sorry to say there's no such pre-paid vending machine in Hong Kong.....I'll live in hong kong for over a decade..........Jus tell your hotel staff that you want to buy a sim card...They'll tell you where the shops are.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:18 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be prepaid sim cards in a vending machine at TST. Here are the pictures:

http://penguinsix.com/2004/10/26/

But I'm not sure if it is still there (or anywhere) now.

I thought it was kind of cool to have them in a machine, but maybe it just didn't make enough money. (As AlvinR noted, your hotel staff will be able to point to probably a dozen places that sell them)
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
There used to be prepaid sim cards in a vending machine at TST. Here are the pictures:

http://penguinsix.com/2004/10/26/

But I'm not sure if it is still there (or anywhere) now.

I thought it was kind of cool to have them in a machine, but maybe it just didn't make enough money. (As AlvinR noted, your hotel staff will be able to point to probably a dozen places that sell them)
Wow thx for the pics mate.........ummmm but sorry to say they don't these vending machines no more.....but it would be cool if they still did.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by AlvinR
Wow thx for the pics mate.........ummmm but sorry to say they don't these vending machines no more.....but it would be cool if they still did.
Bummer. I always thought it was pretty cool to just get your card in a vending machine when you got to a new country, but I guess it just didn't work out financially. If you put one of those at the airport it might make money, but oh well.