Hong Kong driving licence

Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of
Default Hong Kong driving licence

Hello all,

I have a full UK driving licemce, and have had it for donkeys years.

Now I may see a temporary move to Hong Kong.
I would like to know if any one here has got a Hong Kong driving licence, by showing their UK driving licence, and UK passport.

If so,
Can you give me the jump through hoops to get one.

Thanks all,

'vette

Last edited by uk_vette; Mar 6th 2011 at 1:47 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong driving licence

When HK was still 'British' it was just a matter of showing your UK licence to get a HK Driving Licence.
Dunno about these days.

But HK iirc used to accept International Driving Licences if it still does then that's just an application thingy innit?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Hi,

I see a few things need be complied with,
I am not sure if it's right though.

First, I must have a "residents address", maybe a hotel will do, or a "friends accommodation" ie, some where the traffic place can write to you at.
Second, there looks like there is a charge of about 900HK$

Thats about £90

I am still working on it.

'vette
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:54 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can convert it pretty easily.

I know if you try to rent a car it depends on your visa--if you are on a tourist visa you can use your home driver's license, but if you are on a work or dependent visa here (i.e. HKID card) then you will need to convert to an HK license. This was for Avis.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

your Uk licence should cover you in HK, but only for limited time (from yourarrival in HK.. Ithink it is one year)

If you do want a HK licence, unlike other places, you will be able to keep your UK licence as well.

Last edited by dunmovin; Mar 11th 2011 at 12:40 pm.