Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Help Needed For Hong Kong Move

Help Needed For Hong Kong Move

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:05 am
Just Joined

scotian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Needed For Hong Kong Move

Hi

I know there have been a number of threads on moves to Hong Kong, but I would appreciate your views on my situation:

- I am moving with 2 kids
- I estimate my rental budget to be around the 30000 HKD per month zone
- I am working in north east Hong Kong Island

From what I have read, Discovery Bay seems like the best option. Can you give me your views on:

- Likelihood/Options for renting a 3 bed place on my budget?
- International schools in the area & likelihood of getting a English Foundation sponsorship?
- Best websites/estate agents?
- Views on buying property

Much appreciated

James
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Needed For Hong Kong Move

Disco Bay is a 25 minute ferry every day, but it is quite a nice place to live. Kind of like an oasis of calm. Still, you might want to be in the heart of all that action and live closer in.

I would recommend another message board as well:

http://www.geoexpat.com

They have a HK forum that deals with a lot of these questions (especially the school issue).
Old Jan 28th 2007, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotian
Hi

I know there have been a number of threads on moves to Hong Kong, but I would appreciate your views on my situation:

- I am moving with 2 kids
- I estimate my rental budget to be around the 30000 HKD per month zone
- I am working in north east Hong Kong Island

From what I have read, Discovery Bay seems like the best option. Can you give me your views on:

- Likelihood/Options for renting a 3 bed place on my budget?
- International schools in the area & likelihood of getting a English Foundation sponsorship?
- Best websites/estate agents?
- Views on buying property

Much appreciated

James
Hi James,

$30,000 may rent you a 2 bedroom apartment in Disco Bay, but probably not a 3-bedroom one unless you're very lucky. Rents have gone up a fair bit in the past year.

Where about on Hong Kong Island will you be working? By northeast, do you mean Quarry Bay or North Point area? If so, you'll have to add at least another 15-20 minutes on the MTR (assuming your office will be near an MTR station) to your travel time, after you get off the ferry to Central.

If you're working on the north east side of the HK Island, have you considered living closer to work? You'll get much more for you money renting in Quarry Bay, Taikook Shing, North Point, or even Mid-Level East. There are international schools and expats living in these areas too. You would probably get to mix with the locals more than you would at Discovery Bay. Just a thought.

The property market is near its peak at the moment so I wouldn't recommend buying at all. Also it's very risky to buy unless you know the place very well. The properties that tend to hold their value are those in expensive areas. I'm talking about HKD$10M+ for a 3-4 bedroom apartment. Unless you're planning on staying for a very long term, I wouldn't even consider it.

How old are you children? There is one international school at Discovery Bay but it's only upto primary level. The English Schools Foundation has planned a new school there but it's not yet open/approved. I thought it was due to open next year but am not sure any more. There are a couple other international schools, both primary, on Lantau Island with school bus services to Discovery Bay. Like the other poster says, you may find more information on the geoexpat.com site.

Good luck with everything.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:46 am
Just Joined

scotian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for the information. I've started to broaden my search criteria as will be working in Quarry Bay. Clearwater seems like it is quite good value for money and not too far away from Quarry Bay...any thoughts on this area? They also have an international school (my kids are 8 and 6 month)

thanks for all your help
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotian
Hi

Thanks for the information. I've started to broaden my search criteria as will be working in Quarry Bay. Clearwater seems like it is quite good value for money and not too far away from Quarry Bay...any thoughts on this area? They also have an international school (my kids are 8 and 6 month)

thanks for all your help
Are you talking about Clearwater Bay on the southeast side of the New Territories, which is not on Hong Kong Island? It's in fact quite far away from Quarry Bay. If you live at Clearwater Bay, chances are you'll need to take a bus/minibus to get to the "Tseung Kwan O" MTR station and then take the MTR over to Quarry Bay. Travel time can be anything from 40 minutes to an hour. Not having a car can be painful living in Clearwater Bay, but then having one can also cost you a lot in tunnel fees and parking.

It is a lovely area to live in, with 2 beautiful beaches near by, and as the name suggests, the water is very clear, just simply lovely. There are some luxury apartments, houses, as well as villas in the area. The villas (usually 2-3 stories tall) are sometimes referred to as "village houses". These are properties owned by the indeginous people whose ancestors were once farmers in the area, and therefore have some special rights to the land. They aren't anything fancy, and the quality for you budget can vary a lot, but you do get a bit more privacy than living in the city. And if you're very luck you might have a little garden on the ground floor or rooftop. The nice apartments and houses are very comparable in prices to properties in other exclusive beach areas on the south side of Hong Kong Island, and by that I mean $50k+.

The ESF school at Clearwater Bay is fine for young kids, as are all international schools anywhere in HK. It's only when children get to secondary schools I would worry about choosing the right/best school for them.

If you are considering Clearwater Bay, I would also suggest looking at Sai Kung near by which in my opinion can offer better value for you money.

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

TazDevil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Are you talking about Clearwater Bay on the southeast side of the New Territories, which is not on Hong Kong Island? It's in fact quite far away from Quarry Bay. If you live at Clearwater Bay, chances are you'll need to take a bus/minibus to get to the "Tseung Kwan O" MTR station and then take the MTR over to Quarry Bay. Travel time can be anything from 40 minutes to an hour. Not having a car can be painful living in Clearwater Bay, but then having one can also cost you a lot in tunnel fees and parking.

It is a lovely area to live in, with 2 beautiful beaches near by, and as the name suggests, the water is very clear, just simply lovely. There are some luxury apartments, houses, as well as villas in the area. The villas (usually 2-3 stories tall) are sometimes referred to as "village houses". These are properties owned by the indeginous people whose ancestors were once farmers in the area, and therefore have some special rights to the land. They aren't anything fancy, and the quality for you budget can vary a lot, but you do get a bit more privacy than living in the city. And if you're very luck you might have a little garden on the ground floor or rooftop. The nice apartments and houses are very comparable in prices to properties in other exclusive beach areas on the south side of Hong Kong Island, and by that I mean $50k+.

The ESF school at Clearwater Bay is fine for young kids, as are all international schools anywhere in HK. It's only when children get to secondary schools I would worry about choosing the right/best school for them.

If you are considering Clearwater Bay, I would also suggest looking at Sai Kung near by which in my opinion can offer better value for you money.

Mrs JTL
Just to add, I grew up in Clearwater Bay - I had a fantastic up bringing went to Kowloon Junior School and then King George V School. Growing up there was wonderful - always at the beech just wonderful. I am sure since I was last there but I am sure you will love it there. I am was not a Islander at all so can't rate living over there.