Getting a visa

Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Jill_J is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a visa

My boyfriend has just got a job teaching English in Guangzhou for a year starting in October.
I was hoping I'd be able to join him but i'm really not sure what kind of visa I would apply for.
I'm really worried about getting rejected so I just wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on the whole application process.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:33 am
JGS
Just Joined

JGS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a visa

If you do not have a company that is willing to sponsor a work visa for you, you may be best off getting a tourist visa, which will generally allow you in the country for a maximum of 3 months. Another option would be to enroll in Chinese language classes for the year at a local university (perhaps Sun Yat Sen University in Guangzhou) and obtain a student visa. As far as I have been able to tell from my experience in applying for Chinese visas, it is very unlikely that a tourist visa will be rejected unless you have had political problems with the Chinese government or work for an organization that does. You can even get a 1-day turnaround for tourist visas. I would check with the website of your nearest Chinese embassy or consulate.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!
I think that i'm just going to try to get a tourist visa and see how long I can stay there for with that.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Hi Jill,
Are you in the UK ?

Which part of the UK are you in, depends on the most suitable visa application office for you.

vette
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Hi Jill,
Are you in the UK ?

Which part of the UK are you in, depends on the most suitable visa application office for you.

vette
Hi,

I am in the UK, Newcastle, i'm sure the nearest visa application office is Manchester?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jill_J
Hi,

I am in the UK, Newcastle, i'm sure the nearest visa application office is Manchester?
Hi Jill,

You can do postal, or go along to see them.
Great guys there, very helpful, but the forms must be right.

Manchester is the place for you if your going in person.
Firstly, don't do what every one else does, and get there early.
Plan to arrive about 2 pm. After the crazy morning rush.
The application can be done when you arrive.
You don't need an appointment, if you go about 2pm.
Oh, you have to use the agency, no other way to do it.
http://www.visaforchina.org/MAN_EN/news/250682.shtml
They are very good though..
Here attached is the 4 page application form
Also attached is the 1 page declaration.

It can all be done by post, but I prefer to go along, and see the approval, there and then.
Just let them securely post the application back to you, as you probably won't want to drive all the way to Manchester to collect.
In question 2,5, you need to provide a hotel booking, normally in Beijing where you will arrive, so you can get confirmation and the hotel address.
This doesn't really mean you have to stay at that particular hotel, it's just part of the application process.
There are no trick questions.

Any questions, don't hesitate.

vette
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Chinese visa declaration.pdf (184.0 KB, 161 views)
File Type: pdf
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Hi Jill,

You can do postal, or go along to see them.
Great guys there, very helpful, but the forms must be right.

Manchester is the place for you if your going in person.
Firstly, don't do what every one else does, and get there early.
Plan to arrive about 2 pm. After the crazy morning rush.
The application can be done when you arrive.
You don't need an appointment, if you go about 2pm.
Oh, you have to use the agency, no other way to do it.
http://www.visaforchina.org/MAN_EN/news/250682.shtml
They are very good though..
Here attached is the 4 page application form
Also attached is the 1 page declaration.

It can all be done by post, but I prefer to go along, and see the approval, there and then.
Just let them securely post the application back to you, as you probably won't want to drive all the way to Manchester to collect.
In question 2,5, you need to provide a hotel booking, normally in Beijing where you will arrive, so you can get confirmation and the hotel address.
This doesn't really mean you have to stay at that particular hotel, it's just part of the application process.
There are no trick questions.

Any questions, don't hesitate.

vette
Hi Vette,

Thanks for all the information. It's really helpful.

Not too sure when i'm planning to visit China but I think I may just drive down to Manchester, sort it all out that way when I decide to go.

I don't suppose you know how many times you can visit China in a year?

Thanks!
Jill
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jill_J
Hi Vette,

Thanks for all the information. It's really helpful.

Not too sure when i'm planning to visit China but I think I may just drive down to Manchester, sort it all out that way when I decide to go.

I don't suppose you know how many times you can visit China in a year?

Thanks!
Jill
Well I would ask for a tourist "L" visa.
Ask for 3 months, with double entry for 30 days each time.
That is very common.
Tourist visas "L" can only have 1 entry or 2 entries, so no real point in asking for a 6 month tourist visa, unless you can ask them for a 60 day stayance, each time, which may be granted, but most probably not.
So arrive, spend 30 days in China, take the boat to HK, and return back to China same day for your next 30 days.
There is some people getting visas in HK, but I have also heard this is no longer the case, and you need to return to UK for the following visa.
Then it's unlucky.
However you probably will be able to go to your (in Guangzhou) local PSB, and have your visa extended.
They have the power to extend your visa, now I am not 100% sure if they can extend the "number of days" your allowed to stay in CN, or whether they can just extent the exit date.
This needs checking, I don't know for sure.
So if you can get over to HK again for your final (2nd exit) out of CN, then have a try at getting a second visa there. UK Consulate.
If that fails, then I am affraid it's back off to the UK, to get a second visa there.

Oh, also, the "exit" or "end" date on your visa, isn't really an exit date or an "end " date, it is an "Enter Before" date, what it is, is, you must be back in CN before that date, then you can still have your days stayance.
ie, if your exit or end date on teh visa is 01-01-2013, then providing you are back into CN before that date, even an hour before, like 23:00h on 31-12-2012, then thats ok, you still get your 30 days.

So in answer to your question, there is really no limit to the number of times you can visit CN in a year.

vette