Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Finding work. Any suggestions?

Finding work. Any suggestions?

Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

PCushman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding work. Any suggestions?

Hi All

I’m currently looking for work in Hong Kong to join my girlfriend there. I visit regularly and am hoping to move as soon as possible. I understand that you have to be top of your game to be employed as a foreigner, as the talent pool in HK is pretty vast. I have tried many of the job sites with numerous applications, but no luck. My main aim here is to do some networking and find anyone with some advice or info.

My situation:

I have a diploma in Visual Communication (Graphic Design) and 6 years experience (3 years at senior level). Extensive knowledge of print and production. I am 25 years old and British. While my credentials are not spectacular on paper, I believe that I could be valued in the HK market. Advertising is my preference however I am willing to work in any industry (bar tendering/teaching/retail) to get my foot in the door. I’m hoping someone here might know someone/organisation that may be interested (that will sponsor me a working VISA), and can point me in they’re direction.
Any bit of information or advice will be great. Give me anything... even criticism.

I will be in Hong Kong again in early February, so even if you could help me out with a company name and location, I’ll to approach them.
Thanks
Peter
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work. Any suggestions?

The main issue you will have is not finding a job, per se, it is finding a job for which an employer is willing / able to sponsor you so that you can attain a work permit. The general rule here is that they will not issue a work permit if there are people available locally (including foreign permanent residents) who could do the job. Whether you fit into that category I have no idea. I suggest you get yourself here on a tourest visa and then research the job market. If anything suitable / appropriate is available your employer can make the application and if successful you would have to leave HK (weekend in Macau) and return on the new work permit.