Contracting in Hong Kong

Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Pookgai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contracting in Hong Kong

Hi, I'm fresh to these boards, hoping you vets can provide a newbie with some much needed advice!

I am still in the UK working as a contractor for my own UK based limited company. I potentially will be working for a UK based consultancy but will be working in Hong Kong. I will be paid UK pounds into my UK bank account.

What additional taxes will I be subjected to if any? I currently charge my day rate, plus 20% VAT to my current client and subjected to normal UK tax rules.

Any help much appreciated!!!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Pookgai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contracting in Hong Kong

..anyone?
Old Mar 17th 2011, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

HK2UK has a spectacular aura aboutHK2UK has a spectacular aura aboutHK2UK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Contracting in Hong Kong

Have you looked here?

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/taxes/salaries

You do it at the end of the tax year here (everyone does) so you declare your own earnings and yes you would have to declare UK earned income as you would still be residing in HK but fortunately, tax is SO low here that you'll feel robbed being taxed in the UK at all.

I assume you have some sort of HKID card then as you are not meant to be living or working in HK on a tourists visa.
I assume because your name is pookgai heh!

Last edited by HK2UK; Mar 17th 2011 at 9:26 am.