Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Chinese hukou/ID vs foreign passport (for child)

Chinese hukou/ID vs foreign passport (for child)

Old Jun 9th 2020, 5:00 am
Just Joined

hoax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chinese hukou/ID vs foreign passport (for child)

Hello, I was just wondering if anybody knew what are the pros/cons of a China born child living in China with UK passport instead of hukou/chinese ID? I want to apply for her UK passport but if she decides to use that passport to travel from China, she must cancel her hukou/chinese ID and i'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2020, 10:19 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chinese hukou/ID vs foreign passport (for child)

Will the child attend local or international schools? Right now that's the only consideration I'd see, barring the need for an emergency evacuation back to the UK.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 8:39 am
Just Joined

hoax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chinese hukou/ID vs foreign passport (for child)

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Will the child attend local or international schools? Right now that's the only consideration I'd see, barring the need for an emergency evacuation back to the UK.
No plans for international schools, but i heard that in certain regions across China, chinese nationals holding foreign passports can still attend local public or private schools. Yes, emergency is a big thing to consider, i need to make sure i can leave the country with her, at any time. I don't want to overlook anything if i was to cancel her hukou for a UK passport.