Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Can Overseas Foreign Workers in Macao get married to foreigners?

Can Overseas Foreign Workers in Macao get married to foreigners?

Old Nov 1st 2015, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

e-migrator is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can Overseas Foreign Workers in Macao get married to foreigners?

The title already says it. Google was not really helpful.

What I have found out was that maids in Singapore cannot even marry Singaporeans. If they do so abroad, they will be refused re-entry into the city-state.

Hong Kong is a bit more open in that the SAR allows domestic helpers to get married, but given that their two-year contracts do not count as ordinary residence, neither the maid nor her foreign husband would obtain the right of abode.

As far as I know Macao is more liberal in that overseas foreign workers can get any job and not just be domestic workers. So they should be able not only to marry, but marriage should also give their husbands the right of legal residence? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
Old Nov 1st 2015, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Overseas Foreign Workers in Macao get married to foreigners?

I don't think the issue is whether you can can married because the answer is of course that you can. The issue is whether your new bride will be permitted to reside in a particular country. Each country has different rules. I understand that in the West there has been a huge crack down on issuing resident visas to new brides from Eastern countries.

However, I suspect that you will not have any problems in Hong Kong. There are many western guys married to eastern women.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

You are of course absolutely right. In almost all countries of the world, anyone can get married. Singapore in the case of domestic helpers is the only exception I know of. It is obvious that many countries have provisions against marriages of convenience, but this is not what I mean.

So let me rephrase the question, or rather make two of it: Are domestic helpers in Macao ordinarily resident there? And if so, does marrying a foreign woman in Macao confer the right of abode to a foreigner? Probably yes if the answer to the first question is yes also.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by e-migrator
Are domestic helpers in Macao ordinarily resident there? And if so, does marrying a foreign woman in Macao confer the right of abode to a foreigner? Probably yes if the answer to the first question is yes also.
I can only advise for Hong Kong, but I suspect that Macau is very similar. The visas given to foreign domestic helpers working in Hong Kong have very restrictive conditions of stay. If they are terminated they have to leave within 2 weeks for example and they are not eligible for permanent residency or right of abode, even if they have been working here for more that the standard 7 year qualifying period for non domestic helpers. If you married a helper in Hong Kong you almost certainly would not gain any rights in respect of residency in Hong Kong.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

You are probably right. Just like Hong Kong, Macau has a category of work permits for non-resident workers that includes domestic helpers. I have found that here: http://www.dsal.gov.mo/rule/lei_21_2009e.pdf. The difference to HK is that in Macau, contract duration is not fixed, even though it can only be temporary with the possibility of automatic renewal. So, coming back to my initial question: Getting married to a non-resident worker in Macau is probably possible, but the foreign husband will not get a residence permit by virtue of marriage.