Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

British Passport Holder Question about Hong Kong

British Passport Holder Question about Hong Kong

Old Jan 28th 2012, 12:16 am
Just Joined

hkhkcncn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Passport Holder Question about Hong Kong

I’m interested in spending considerable time in Hong Kong. I’m not looking to work in Hong Kong and I have enough personal finances to be able to support myself for as long as required. As a British passport holder and UK citizen I am aware that entitles me to be able to spend 180 days in Hong Kong without a visa. My question is after I have remained in Hong Kong for the 180 day visa free period and have to leave, how long before I can return to Hong Kong to remain for another 180 days without the need for a visa?

Thank you. This is very important so if anyone could help shed some light please.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of
Default Re: British Passport Holder Question about Hong Kong

As far as I know there is no minimum period of absence before entering again on the 180 day. However, you would still have to meet the same requirements on re-entry (onward ticket and sufficient funds for your support) - and I suspect the immigration officer might question you about the reason for your long-term stay and rapid re-entry - six months in HK is long by most standards especially if not working or looking for work, or studying. They might just be a bit suspicious as your inbound and outbound movements will pop up on the computer system.

Expect you have already the website below:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm
Old Jan 28th 2012, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Yes I was on that site and can't get any clear answer from them about re entry after the 180 day period. Basically, the story is that my girlfriend who is from Hong Kong has had to return for family reasons. We can't marry at the moment and I just want to be with her and a short visit now and then won't do it. Again, I have enough money and don't require work in Hong Kong. So would this be like a realistic prospect of staying in Hong Kong visa free and just doing a short leave every 180 days? Can anybody give me a more confirmed answer?

Thank you
Old Jan 28th 2012, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

You're right that there is no clear answer on the site - I have known of people from various countries who are granted a much shorter stay without a visa on arrival (e.g. 14 days) who have gone to Macau or China when their time is up and then re-entered immediately with no problem.

Given the way bureaucracy works in HK I think it would say if it was expressly forbidden to re-enter within a certain period. If you have lingering doubts then ask your girlfriend to visit the Immigration Department HQ and I'm sure she will get the answer.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. In any case, does my scenario sound reasonable to allow frequent and prolonged stays?

Or, without marriage, do you know if there is any visa that I would be able to get if it wasn't based on work, investment or study?
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Yes your scenario sounds ok to me - if you meet the immigration requirements regarding ticket and ability to support yourself (and maybe carry a letter from your g/f explaining the reason for your stay) then it's difficult to see why you would have a problem. Like I suggested your case sounds a bit unusual to me as you're not looking to work or study and your anticipated period of stay as a visitor is well over the norm for HK - hence there may be very few people with comparable experiences who can advise you. As far as I know there isn't a visa category that would apply to you and if the 6 month arrangement works for you then no need.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

When you say 'ticket' as a requirement, does it have to be a set return date or can it be an open return? Are you saying they wouldn't let me in on a one way ticket with the intention of getting another ticket back whenever ready within the next 6 months?

Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hkhkcncn
When you say 'ticket' as a requirement, does it have to be a set return date or can it be an open return? Are you saying they wouldn't let me in on a one way ticket with the intention of getting another ticket back whenever ready within the next 6 months?

Thanks
Not sure of the exact requirements and whether they check on entry - probably less likely for a UK passport holder. HK Immigration tend to be tougher on citizens of some Asian countries (e.g. Thailand and Philippines) especially young, unaccompanied women.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:16 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There doesn't seem to be a minimum on paper, but more of a pattern they can discern. If you stay 179 days, leave for 1, and then reappear, repeat, repeat, they are going to notice a pattern and detain you at the border. HK Immigration tries to stamp all the entries on the same page so they can do a quick check to catch those illegally living here.

But if you come over and after 90 days or so goto the Philippines for a few weeks and then come back, or maybe spend a few weeks in China or something, they might be more forgiving.

In short, I have a friend who has 'lived' here 2 years simply by doing the 'top up' visa thing (with probably six international trips a year). I've heard of others getting stopped on their first return, or being given a limited second stay of say 30 days with a warning 'we are watching'. It comes down to what they think your intent is at the entry point, and that can come down to the thought patterns of the random guy who is sitting on the other side of the table that day.