Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Beijing Salary expectation???

Beijing Salary expectation???

Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

melon101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beijing Salary expectation???

Hello,

I'm new here. I have an interview next week for a job with a energy firm located in Zhongguancun science park in Beijing for a technical position and would like some suggestions.

During my interview next week I wish to discuss the salary for my position with the manager.I want to know the salary range i should be expecting as a british expat working in Beijing. I'm an MSc graduating student.

My friends in China have given me some rough ideas of what the average chinese residents salaries are, but i'm still not sure of what expats should be expecting, since i don't wish to ask for something too high, or too less.

Note- its a HK foreign firm

I would appreciate your help! Thank you

Last edited by melon101; Jan 5th 2012 at 4:42 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of
Default Re: Beijing Salary expectation???

I would say that it is nothing to do with being "Expat"
I suggest it is more down to "how well you fit in, your "guanxi" and your ability to make money for the company.

I think the days where expats were on more money than Chinese, doing similar tasks may have slid by the by.
There are a lot of exceptional Chinese in BJ, all making big money, serious big money.

Salary, well thats a real piece of string in Beijing.

3000 rnb will get you an apartment, not good, but an appartment no less.
I have seen many an aparment in BJ advertised fro 24,000 a month.
You will need to eat and travel.
BJ is a big place, and you can expect to easily have a 1 hour travel, or more into and going home.
Tube and bus travel is quite cheap, providing you don't use taxi.
In BJ, 2 hours each way is very common.
Food is not as cheap as you might think, even eating out.
Guess 2000 rnb to 3000 rnb for you food.
Then you need your relaxation "beer and bar" money.

The starting salary neg. needs to be 15000 rnb a month.
Sure,,,, less would do, but doesn't lead to a good experience.

Unfortunatly, being a MSc graduating student, doesn't really help too much, when China turns out 6 million graduates every year.
It is depressing to realise how many of China's graduating students are working in very low paid jobs of circa 1800 rnb to 2300 rnb a month.

I know of many graduates who could demand huge salary in UK, but alas, they are not in UK.
I know students who are 14 or 15 years old, that have no problem to do BSc, MSc etc.

vette

Last edited by uk_vette; Jan 9th 2012 at 2:38 am.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:56 am
Banned

kingdavid2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Beijing Salary expectation???

That depends on your capacity and performance.I would say 7500RMB. per month will be a reasonable offer.