Beijing

Old Apr 10th 2011, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beijing

Just got back... awesome place - I am jealous of you guys living there. (although was a bit chilly)

Does anyone have a sense of salaries & cost of living vs. UAE? Big ticket items in the UAE are schooling & housing. Currently, in Dubai we pay around 12k USD / annum for schooling and 45k USD/annum for a 3500sqft. villa with shared access to a pool.

I assume that cars are expensive in Beijing.

How would this compare to Beijing?

Cheers, Millhouse
Old Apr 12th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beijing

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Just got back... awesome place - I am jealous of you guys living there. (although was a bit chilly)

Does anyone have a sense of salaries & cost of living vs. UAE? Big ticket items in the UAE are schooling & housing. Currently, in Dubai we pay around 12k USD / annum for schooling and 45k USD/annum for a 3500sqft. villa with shared access to a pool.

I assume that cars are expensive in Beijing.

How would this compare to Beijing?

Cheers, Millhouse
Like you I am here in Dxb, but for a bit longer, 26 years! However my wife comes from Tianjin and I have to say I enjoy China very much!! We have a home in the TEDA area (The Jebel Ali area of Tianjin), and I enjoy living there. As for working there and being involved in schooling etc I am not familiar with the costs. We own a 3 bed flat which is big by Dxb standards. But day to day living is pretty reasonable and our area is pretty Westernisied where you perhaps need it from time to time! Good pubs, and you can get western food easily if you so wish! This doesn't bother me but for sure if the need arises it can be vanquished easily! Certainly if I were younger I would like to give it a go work wise!
As for cars etc, I have found the local transport systems very good, especially the CRH (Fast) trains and would probably pass on owning a car. Also the driving is a little erratic to say the least!. In Sept we visited Harbin, flew there and came back by CRH. It took 9 hours but was very comfortable and gave a great view of the countryside! Farming all the way! Hospital facilites very good and cheap also!

Last edited by Jim Smith; Apr 12th 2011 at 1:27 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Like you I am here in Dxb, but for a bit longer, 26 years! However my wife comes from Tianjin and I have to say I enjoy China very much!! We have a home in the TEDA area (The Jebel Ali area of Tianjin), and I enjoy living there. As for working there and being involved in schooling etc I am not familiar with the costs. We own a 3 bed flat which is big by Dxb standards. But day to day living is pretty reasonable and our area is pretty Westernisied where you perhaps need it from time to time! Good pubs, and you can get western food easily if you so wish! This doesn't bother me but for sure if the need arises it can be vanquished easily! Certainly if I were younger I would like to give it a go work wise!
As for cars etc, I have found the local transport systems very good, especially the CRH (Fast) trains and would probably pass on owning a car. Also the driving is a little erratic to say the least!. In Sept we visited Harbin, flew there and came back by CRH. It took 9 hours but was very comfortable and gave a great view of the countryside! Farming all the way! Hospital facilites very good and cheap also!
Thanks Jim. Pity the only response so far is from a Dubai resident. I guess all the Beijingers are too busy having fun to sod around with a forum.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Thanks Jim. Pity the only response so far is from a Dubai resident. I guess all the Beijingers are too busy having fun to sod around with a forum.
I haven't seen too many Beijing posters here!
Old May 30th 2011, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

As for cars etc, I have found the local transport systems very good, especially the CRH (Fast) trains and would probably pass on owning a car.
Hi Jim, local Beijing transport is probably the best in the world bar none.
If your going to live in Beijing, then you really don't want a car.

In Sept we visited Harbin, flew there and came back by CRH. It took 9 hours but was very comfortable and gave a great view of the countryside! Farming all the way! Hospital facilites very good and cheap also!
We have been to Harbin many times, some times on the CRH, some times on the overnight soft sleeper.
I would really suggest train travel over air travel.
Just take soft sleeper, and enjoy.

Did you go by any chance to the Ice and Snow festival in Harbin, or perhaps to the Harbin Tiger park?

'vette
Old May 30th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Hi Jim, local Beijing transport is probably the best in the world bar none.
If your going to live in Beijing, then you really don't want a car.

We have been to Harbin many times, some times on the CRH, some times on the overnight soft sleeper.
I would really suggest train travel over air travel.
Just take soft sleeper, and enjoy.

Did you go by any chance to the Ice and Snow festival in Harbin, or perhaps to the Harbin Tiger park?

'vette
No, we were there in Sept. One night down to Zero C but otherwise fine. Yes we went to the Tiger setup, quite impressive, but bit of a stir when a few live chickens were puchased (not by me!) and thrown in!

Yes agree about transport/having a car! The same goes for TEDA/Tianjin where we have a home. It just doesnt seem worth having a car when local transport is so regular and cheap. Plus there are about 10 pubs within comfortable walking distance!

Last edited by Jim Smith; May 30th 2011 at 1:24 pm.
Old May 30th 2011, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

PriMarina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!
I am too often in Beijing, but even for me, living in Russia, this place seemed pretty dirty ... It's good to visit it for a while, but not live ...
Old May 30th 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Yes we went to the Tiger setup, quite impressive, but bit of a stir when a few live chickens were puchased (not by me!) and thrown in!
Hi Jim,

Did you get some pic's like these?

Vette
Old May 31st 2011, 9:06 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Good pics Vette
Old May 31st 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

We got some good pics also, but they seemed more keen on sleeping than moving around much!