Uruguay?

Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

akirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really nice
Default Uruguay?

Hi, my wife and I have been living in UAE for a bit (with our 3 y/o daughter) and are just about ready to move on to a quieter, Latin American environment with the possibility of beaches! Are there many expats there? Could you give us any advice?
Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

ChristianDeBlis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uruguay?

Hi,

I've been living in Buenos Aires for the past 3 months, and I can definitely give it a high recommendation as far as:

safety (no violence, like Brasilia ... the people are very warm/family-oriented)
cost ($3.1 U.S. = 1 Peso)
big business (a lot of auto is here, MicroSoft, Oracle, etc.)
business opportunities (the Argentineans are fantastic! but the majority have no idea what good service is)
family (a lot of school, safety for children, good universities with free education, and honestly, a LOT of babies!)

I've visited Uruguay... I'm really not a fan... the vibe reminded me of Soviet Russia and the people are not as warm as Argentina. Also, the business opportunities and metropolitan lifestyle is lacking. I will say there are some fantastic beaches in Uruguay... but you can always visit there for a couple weeks for holiday. Brazil's beaches are the best... but I would never want to live there.

If you have any questions, shoot me an e-mail. [email protected]

Buena Suerte!
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

UPP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by akirakhan
Hi, my wife and I have been living in UAE for a bit (with our 3 y/o daughter) and are just about ready to move on to a quieter, Latin American environment with the possibility of beaches! Are there many expats there? Could you give us any advice?
Thanks in advance!
Uruguay 10 out of 10 - The best kept secret in South America

I am an expat(Londoner)and having lived in 7 countries & 3 continents, I have chosen Punta del Este as my new home. I am rather knowledgable about the country & its coastal resorts, so will be glad to share my 'wisdom' with anybody interested in URUGUAY
Quality lifestyle at affordable price with cost of living approx. 40 - 60 % lower
than in Germany, Italy, Skandinavia, US or UK
• Ideal holiday destination during Northern hemiphere winter due to reverse seasons
• Pristine beaches, lakes, unspoilt countryside with first class golf, riding, tennis, fishing and organic meat galore
• Bargain prices for many chalets and thatched cottages near beaches, apartments with view, all with excellent
rental potential during high season
• Great investment opportunities for inexpensive hectares of farm/forest land
• Foreigners and residents can invest freely with secure land registry titles
• Currently good prospects for excellent capital appreciation
• No personal income tax, no capital gains nor inheritance taxes
• Many other favourable tax advantages and treatments
• Good personal security environment
• Free repatriation of property profits upon resale

There are international school in the capital, Montevideo as well as in the well known summer resort Punta del Este. Feel free to ask more.
Best wishes
Margret
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:01 am
Just Joined

matttheboy is an unknown quantity at this point

uruguay is great. montevideo is a chilled out buenos aires and uruguayans are more honest and trustworthy than argentines. i always say that if you crossed an argentine's joie de vivre with a chilean's honesty and work ethic you'd end up with a uruguayan somewhere in the middle...

btw, christian deblis works as an estate agent in BA so his comments may well be somewhat biased. he's also a couple of years late arriving on the ba property scene. that ship has sailed, it's going to start getting difficult there within the next 2-3 years-now's the time to sell up at the top of the market, not invest more. uruguay probably offers better value despite cost of living being higher than in argentina where the peso is being artificially held at 3-1 to the dollar and which won't last much beyond the presidential elections in october. argentina will become 20-30% more expensive pretty much overnight. Or of course, they could continue with the 3-1 and argentina will become 20-30% more expensive every year through rampant inflation. my bet is it's the former.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 3:15 am
Just Joined

BPeterB will become famous soon enoughBPeterB will become famous soon enough

In my limited experience, and given a somewhat natural bias (my wife being Uruguayan), Uruguay has much to recommend it. I note the comments above about Argentina (lots of good things, but ... I'd never live there). Very definitely worth consideration as a pleasant place to live. We have apartments in M'deo and Punta, and am now actively investigating other opportunities there, but maybe I shouldn't shout too loud - after all we don't want the place ruined by expats
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:24 am
Just Joined

jammeing is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey i am a prospective mover to Uruguay and english speaking from Jamaica and it seems that you people have some really impressive views of Uruguay..Can you give me some hints on how to better integrate into Uruguayan society and get along with people there? Do you guys have a gathering somewhere?

Why has not many people heard about Uruguay before and is Uruguay considered a middle world country or a Latin American first world country? What is the status of Uruguay?

As a stranger coming into a strange country what am i to expect as regards to Uruguay? Thanks Jammeing....
Old May 3rd 2007, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

UPP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jammeing
Hey i am a prospective mover to Uruguay and english speaking from Jamaica and it seems that you people have some really impressive views of Uruguay..Can you give me some hints on how to better integrate into Uruguayan society and get along with people there? Do you guys have a gathering somewhere?

Why has not many people heard about Uruguay before and is Uruguay considered a middle world country or a Latin American first world country? What is the status of Uruguay?

As a stranger coming into a strange country what am i to expect as regards to Uruguay? Thanks Jammeing....
Hi Jammeing,

Uruguay is about as good as it gets as far as Latin America is concerned. Great weather (not tropical though like in Jamaica), educated people of mainly european stock, quality of life and good personal security.
I would advice you to start learning Spanish, as communicating properly with the locals is your best bet of integrating.
Let me know when your plans become more concrete for moving here and I shall dispense more useful and specific tips.
Best regards
Margret
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Well for sure Margaret I do indeed intend to learn Spanish as soon as I can once I arrive in Uruguay... I will take advantage of a special offer from the Uruguayan government in terms of integration and language learning...

Surprisingly enough Jamaica is surrounded by Spanish countries we should of learned it before but that is the fault of the education system..Anyway I already speak english and french so learning spanish should not be so difficult,,,

I will be arriving on Sunday or Saturday night in Montevideo and i am looking for a well lets say ´´cheap´´accomodation for a few days and then to get my plans going...

Do you have a contact association in Montevideo where english speaking peoples can meet?

Jamaica was former British colony and before a Spanish one so a little bit interesting...
Let me ask you a question,,,,is in your opinion Uruguay the better Latin American country? What about Chile or Argentina on the social and economic front? you said that Uruguay is as good as it gets..do you think that it is better than the countries that i have just mentioned? I have heard good things also..But it is good to learn from the other people who have the practical experience like you...
Is it expensive in comparison to France or Germany or even Costa Rica which I find quite expensive for a Central American country..?

Okay waiting to hear from you...Jammeing
Old May 4th 2007, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Well Margeret there is another question that i would like you to answer...i made contact with a Uruguayan living in the USA and I will give you a transcript of what she was saying...
HELLO PAUL, I'M KARINA, YOU WROTE BECAUSE YOU ARE MOVING TO MONTEVIDEO, GUAUUU, WELL, I DON'T KNOW IF I WAS CLEAR, BUT I LIVE IN THE USA RIGHT NOW, BUT OF COURSE I CAN HELP YOU WITH SPANISH AND GIVE YOU IDEAS. TELL ME WHY ARE YOU MOVING OVER THERE, BECAUSE IT IS NOT THE ULTIMATE DESTINATION, JIJIJI, FOR TRAVELERS, IT'S A BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY, BUT THE ECONOMY IS MESSED UP, THAT'S WHY I HAD TO LIVE. IF YOU FEEL LIKE TALKING MORE REPLY AND I'D BE HAPPY TO TALK TO YOU.

SEE YA SOON

Yes what do you think of this statement? What is the real deal with the economy and is there stability in the socio-economic situation(economicwise)?Is there any such thing as an ultimate destination anyway??? as what the young woman was referring to. You are vastly experienced and have lived all over the world Margaret..I lived in Europe and it was not the real deal or {{ultimate destination}}}more like a nightmare in both France and Germany and a few other places.it can be an advantage sometimes to live in middle countries like Uruguay-not too much restrictions or complications..Heck i have as much rights as any North American or European visitor because i do not need a visa to enter this country and can stay here for three months..Other countries it is hell to get a visa to enter(that is after spending huge amounts of money). How does Uruguay maintain a good quality, low cost standard of living?

Okay you can now answer for me please both followup questions in different paragraphs. Thanks Jammeing.
Old May 4th 2007, 7:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to accept Jammeling that everywhere has its bad points, no where is going to be perfect. There are examples all over the forums of people who looked at things through rose tinted glasses, and when they arrived at destination they just had a whole new set of problems.

You just have to do your research really well and accept that there are going to be challenges and not everything will be perfect
Old May 5th 2007, 11:47 am
Just Joined

mercurial is an unknown quantity at this point

Well UPP i will be arriving here on Saturday 5 May so maybe it is time for these tips that you say you will give to me..Thanks Paul....
Old May 6th 2007, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Well Margret UPP i am actually in Montevideo at this time...I just arrived at the airport.... and now in my hotel..What other useful points and specificalities can you give to me right now,,,Paul..Jammeing?
Old May 10th 2007, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

One word.....Chile.
Old May 10th 2007, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Dakota 44 why do you say Chile? Whats in Chile?
Old May 10th 2007, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammeing
Dakota 44 why do you say Chile? Whats in Chile?
It's a great country. The best economy and most stable government in South America. Wide range of climate North to South, great people. I've been there 3 times and love it. But we all have our personal favorites. I love Peru too, but too much instability and greater poverty. Chile would be my choice. But don't let my Peruvian wife know I said that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.