Single parent in Mexico!

Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

caged_bird1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Single parent in Mexico!

Hiya!!

I am about to do a TEFL course as I have always wanted to move abroad. I am particularly interested in moving to Mexico for several reasons. It's early days so I still have an enormous amount of research to do.

First things first though, I wanted to know if anyone knew much about visa requirements so that I am able to teach and so my son (who is 7) can attend school.

As I said I still have alot if research to do but any advice or information is much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Single parent in Mexico!

Welcome to British Expats! I'll try and give you a brief overview of what's needed for living & working here. I'll be as harsh as I need to be - Mexico isn't all about sipping piƱa colada on a beach in Cancun and doing a bit of teaching now again.

Firstly - how's your Spanish? Don't expect anyone in a government department to speak English here, and there's certainly no 'marca uno por ingles' on the phone (except on Telcel mobiles to recharge the credit!).

Secondly - where do you want to live? This is a big country with a wide range of living conditions. Do you want large, urban centers? Then Monterrey, Guadalajara, Puebla or DF (Mexico City) will do you nicely. But you want to teach English, yes? Then you need to be where the learners are - that usually means an urban center of 500,000+ people.

Thirdly - can you live on what you might be paid? Bear in mind you have a son and the public/government schools here are abysmal. Can you afford private-bilingual education? Expect a full-time ESL teaching position to pay around MN$15,000 gross per month - but most schools will only pay by the hour of student contact-time.

With me so far? OK, visas.

You can enter the Mexican Republic and stay as a tourist ('visitante') for up to 180 days - this cannot be renewed without leaving the country and re-entering. You cannot open a bank-account or get a drivers license or State medical care as a tourist. You may, however, look for work.

OK - you found a language school that's willing to employ you. You now need a new visa - an FM3 'Cargo de Confianza' ("Migratory Form 3 - Position of Trust"). These are valid for one year and cost about MN$3000 and they do require a letter from the employer outlining what steps they have taken to fill the vacancy and why you, in particular, should be given the job. Most 'international' language schools will be well-versed in these procedures and some may even pay the visa for you.

Where have you been looking for work? Have you checked sources like 'The International Educator'? What teaching experience do you have?

Let us know what your research digs up and we can help more :-)