British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Central, South America & Mexico (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/)
-   -   Should Britain give the Falkland Islands to Argentina (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/should-britain-give-falkland-islands-argentina-822856/)

scot47 Jun 8th 2015 9:48 am

Re: Should Britain give the Falkland Islands to Argentina

I look forward to the removal of nuclear weapons from Faslane and the development of Faslane as a naval base for an independent Scotland.

Steve_ Jun 8th 2015 1:09 pm

I always think this question is totally pointless, because the Falklands apparently have enormous oil reserves offshore, so I suspect what will happen as the oil is exploited is that large numbers of people will immigrate and it will eventually become an independent country, after all it has roughly the same land mass as Northern Ireland.

It's not going to be Argentinian or British. They might pay for the Royal Navy to defend them, but that's about it. Can't see Argentina being able to make a plausible case to invade if the population increases substantially.

Pulaski Jun 8th 2015 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11670003)
I always think this question is totally pointless, because the Falklands apparently have enormous oil reserves offshore. ......

That has been speculated/ rumoured for more than thirty years, but never confirmed or turned into actual oil production despite oil being priced at $100+/barrel for several years.

..... as the oil is exploited is that large numbers of people will immigrate and ...... Can't see Argentina being able to make a plausible case to invade if the population increases substantially.
Try running that line of reasoning past the Kuwaitis. :rolleyes:

CelticRover Jun 28th 2015 8:40 am

Upping the ante once more.

Argentina will pursue judge order on Falklands drillers: minister

BritInParis Jun 28th 2015 11:26 am

Originally Posted by CelticRover (Post 11687178)

More meaningless sabre rattling. I take it the Argentine economy is still a complete basket case?

CelticRover Jun 28th 2015 11:39 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11687263)
More meaningless sabre rattling. I take it the Argentine economy is still a complete basket case?

Clearly a diversionary tactic to focus national attention elsewhere, however if they wait long enough, it might get easier to deal with:

British Army could be cut to just 50,000 over next four years, report warns - Telegraph

Pulaski Jun 28th 2015 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11687263)

That's a pretty safe bet as the Argentinian economy has been a basket case for almost all of the past 40+ years despite a huge wealth of natural resources. I doubt the current strategy of punishing foreign investors is going to improve matters much. :rolleyes:

MattieC86 Jul 15th 2015 10:03 am

I'm very much on the "no" side of this, not because of the war but because of a certain vote that took place in the not too distant past. However what does bother me is 1) that if the Argentinians do make another move on the Falklands, the British military would be powerless to do anything about it (thanks Blair, Brown and Cameron) and 2) The reality is that the South Americans do see it as an "occupation", and that's one more problem for an already unpopular nation around the world.

Two things I'd like to know on this subject; is it true that there is a set of Dutch "owned" (for want of a better word) islands that the UN accept as legal, whilst the UN have declared the British position of the Falklands illegal? Also what difference would it make - good and bad - if the Falklands were given to Argentina? I'm asking because I don't know, that's all.

Pulaski Jul 15th 2015 10:09 am

Originally Posted by MattieC86 (Post 11700487)
..... is it true that there is a set of Dutch "owned" (for want of a better word) islands that the UN accept as legal, whilst the UN have declared the British position of the Falklands illegal? .......

The only Dutch owned islands I know of are Aruba, Bonaire, CuraƧao, half of St Maartin, and I think one other, all in the Caribbean. The difference is that I don't think any other country is claiming sovereignty over them.

The UN is mostly a bunch of tin pot dictatorships so I don't give a lot of credibility to the UN assertion that the Falklands are illegally occupied. In any case, so far as I know, there is no indigenous native population that predates the British settlers, and there never has been, and the UN has hundreds of more pressing disagreements to resolve. For starters, I suspect that China, a permanent member of the security council, is more than happy to deflect attention away from Tibet at any and every opportunity! :rolleyes:

MattieC86 Jul 15th 2015 10:11 am

Thanks Pulaski.

BritInParis Jul 18th 2015 6:17 am

The UN has not declared the UK's possession of the Falklands Islands illegal. Several resolutions have been passed requesting the UK and Argentina resolve the issue through negotiation. The UK has asked Argentina to take the matter to the International Court of Justice on several occasions but Argentina has refused to - presumably because they know they will lose.

kimilseung Jul 18th 2015 7:01 am

Originally Posted by MattieC86 (Post 11700487)
I'm very much on the "no" side of this, not because of the war but because of a certain vote that took place in the not too distant past. However what does bother me is 1) that if the Argentinians do make another move on the Falklands, the British military would be powerless to do anything about it (thanks Blair, Brown and Cameron) and 2) The reality is that the South Americans do see it as an "occupation", and that's one more problem for an already unpopular nation around the world.

Two things I'd like to know on this subject; is it true that there is a set of Dutch "owned" (for want of a better word) islands that the UN accept as legal, whilst the UN have declared the British position of the Falklands illegal? Also what difference would it make - good and bad - if the Falklands were given to Argentina? I'm asking because I don't know, that's all.

British Overseas Territories are under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom; but not part of it. Aruba for example is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. French islands like Guadeloupe are prefectures of France. (I do not know why the UK does not do something similar with its BOTs.)

CelticRover Sep 8th 2015 10:14 am

Here is a Falklands politician, making her case on her country's claim to the islands.

Australian surfer bitten after landing on shark

Pulaski Sep 8th 2015 11:37 am

Originally Posted by CelticRover (Post 11743635)
Here is a Falklands politician, making her case on her country's claim to the islands.

Australian surfer bitten after landing on shark

Are you sure? :confused:

CelticRover Sep 8th 2015 11:44 am

Of course I'm sure.

Don't Be Fooled by Dialogue -- Argentina Only Wants One Answer to 'the Falklands Question' | Jan Cheek

uk_grenada Sep 10th 2015 11:05 pm

Argentina should definitely invade. Im sure cameron has made that clear to them, but not till closer to the next election... Worked for maggie.

Seriously, oil and the local population makeup make it impossible for argentina to any more than rattle their cage, if they did invade i'm sure any number of countries politicians would love to attack such a soft target to free the local population from an occupation.