Moving family to Rio

Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

mdh27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving family to Rio

Hi All

I'm considering a job in Rio. I have a young family (5, 3 and 6 months) and am trying to find information regarding expat/local life with young children in the city.

Any thoughts gratefully received.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving family to Rio

Do you know anything about Brazil? Do you speak Portuguese? Do you know what the crime situation is in Rio?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

dgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant future

Do a solo recon first, see what you think. I KNOW what you will think! "Nice beach, food, shame about everything else."

Now is not a good time, what with World Cup and Olympics. But if your job offer includes a massive cost-of-living adjustment for life in this very expensive nation, then maybe it's worthy of deeper investigation.

Is there nowhere better you can go? South Sudan? Invercargill?
Old Feb 27th 2014, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Brazil is a real dilemma. In many ways it is a beautiful place and in so many others, more like hell. As has already been mentioned, the crime in Rio is quite bad. All that nice tourism information only shows the good stuff, the importance of which can quickly fade in the face of all the negatives.

Now, Peru...love it.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

rdkt is an unknown quantity at this point

Little late reply but here it goes:

I lived for a number of years in Rio, I currently live in São Paulo. I've been in Brazil for 12 years and am getting a little tired of it, but I think the comments have been overly negative. Rio is a beautiful city. Crime is bad but just a little care can prevent most problems. I never got robbed there or here, but I know plenty of people who have (just as I have friends who've been robbed in New York, London, Paris, and a number of other places). Unlike a number of foreigners here I've always walked all over and taken public transport. People in Rio are very friendly, the city is very welcoming to foreigners and especially to children. The (private) schools are very good.

Things are quite expensive but I imagine you'll make enough with your company.

Any questions let me know.