Moving to Brazil

Old May 13th 2008, 12:39 pm

madcooie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Brazil

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I am looking for a little advice, ideas, etc.

I am moving there to live with my fiance and would really like to find a job before I arrive!

I am 24 years old, moving to Brazil around December 2008, and am an Architectural Technician by trade.

Firstly, I would like to know if there is a great demand for my skills? (I have worked on many types of jobs, housing, residential, golf courses, marinas, commercial, etc)

Secondly, where would I search for these jobs? I had a look on the web but couldn't see anything for definite. Are there expats out there who are needing an AT?

All the best,

Andrew
Old May 14th 2008, 3:38 pm

Default Re: Moving to Brazil

I see a few people have viewed, but no responses...
Old May 14th 2008, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

GregII is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey dude! I'm replying here. Take it easy. You've already gotten a fiance and a brazilian one. HAHAHA! Ooh she's brazilian right? Lucky Scot. I hope you can get the job too.

PS- Pick Sao Paolo or Rio de Jameiro for starts.

Greg.

Last edited by GregII; May 14th 2008 at 5:30 pm.
Old May 14th 2008, 5:42 pm

Smile Re: Moving to Brazil

Hi,

Apologies about the anxiety, was starting to wonder if there were no jobs! My fiance lives in Rio at the moment, but I would really like a job doing what i am trained for but initially would take just about anything i thought i could make a go of.

Thanks for the reply
Old May 28th 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Aussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant future

From another job seeker!.............

I am currently living in the United Arab Emirates and our next step in working our way around the world (we are Aussies) is hopefully South America.

Where is the best place to look up jobs in schools - school leadership/management? My husband has been working on a school improvement project in national schools in the Emirates and also spent a year working in the South Pacific (Vanuatu). He is an educational leadership adviser as well as a teacher. He has some Spanish but is not fluent.

I will do the 'trailing spouse' bit and pick up something after arriving in country.

When does the school year start - July or January? What are the salaries like? Oh so many questions! Looking forward to answers from you...........
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Maks is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Moving to Brazil

Well, here's my first post!

The school year starts in February. It's like this:

December-February - School/Uni holidays
February-July - Term time
July - (winter) Holiday
August - December - Term time

It's like the UK, but inverted. Basically, when summer starts, it's a case of "school's out", etc.

Regards,

Maks
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Maks is an unknown quantity at this point

Just found out that the school year starts in January, oops!

Well, just for you to know, in February, there's Carnaval, which is another week of holidays...
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Timm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aussieoverseas
From another job seeker!.............

I am currently living in the United Arab Emirates and our next step in working our way around the world (we are Aussies) is hopefully South America.

Where is the best place to look up jobs in schools - school leadership/management? My husband has been working on a school improvement project in national schools in the Emirates and also spent a year working in the South Pacific (Vanuatu). He is an educational leadership adviser as well as a teacher. He has some Spanish but is not fluent.

I will do the 'trailing spouse' bit and pick up something after arriving in country.

When does the school year start - July or January? What are the salaries like? Oh so many questions! Looking forward to answers from you...........
Pretty much forget about a job in a school (in Brazi)unless you speak portugese. However you probably could get a job in a English language school if you have TEFL /Toefl....., (without needing Portugese) or as a native English speaker teaching English biut the salary would be very low eg Minimum wage R$410 per month plus bed and board. looking at 42 hour week-min
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Timm is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Brazil

Originally Posted by madcooie
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I am looking for a little advice, ideas, etc.

I am moving there to live with my fiance and would really like to find a job before I arrive!

I am 24 years old, moving to Brazil around December 2008, and am an Architectural Technician by trade.

Firstly, I would like to know if there is a great demand for my skills? (I have worked on many types of jobs, housing, residential, golf courses, marinas, commercial, etc)

Secondly, where would I search for these jobs? I had a look on the web but couldn't see anything for definite. Are there expats out there who are needing an AT?

All the best,

Andrew
I recommend you do a Petrolium/Gas course over there before you arrive(that way you learn in English)you would have a world wide recognised qualification for working in the industry, mainly oilrigs. There are many types of job-check out some sites. I dont know how much time you have but the Radio Operator course is short maybe a week or a month. This is said to be a boring job as you sit in an office (off shore)waiting for a contact, however although not highlly paid is pretty well paid . Usually 2weeks on 2week off.AS for in your own field , good luck if you dont speak the language. Have you been to the embassy over there about your visa /permanent residency, better start now -findout what you need etc as perm res. is a slow process. You would probably have to marry her(do that here it saves some problems eg tranlating wedd. cert., or if you find employment /open a business it may be possible. I AM NOT SCARE MONGERING HERE, I LOVE LIVING IN BRAIL AND IT WOULD KILL ME TO HAVE TO LEAVEIf i was you(doing it again)i would work hard now(i did, but harder) save everything (study the language and practice) and open up your own business here. It is a good place to be the boss(easier to be successful with good return, than UK etc) and not a good place to be the scrava(i have never written this word so it may be wrong) especially as a gringo(the jobs in the petrolium industry are different as you would be working for a Western company or atleat a company with western management ideas) as the Boss takes great pride in being the boss(generalisation) and he is the boss he owns you(generalisation again) so she/he will let you know this. Something like the UK many years ago. You fiancee will undoubtably deny this as mine does with me, but i have seen it and i have seen the pride taken when a boss has a gringo on their staff. Many Brazilians white colar and blue will not work here on their return after being respected as a human being by their boss in the UK(generalisation again) and open up on their own. Or invest in property and do micro business type things.
I hope this hasnt put you off at all, i highly recommend you come here to live, and am sure you will love it. It is a great place to live especially near a beach and with some money in your pocket.
All that having been said maybe you can get a job in your own area, and professionals here get well paid(generalisation, im sorry i have had to write this in a hurry, i own apts and i had a tenant over here just now with a problem) much mre than say trades people or manual workers unlike over there where a buoilder can bring in as much or more than many professsionals . So your education can finally give you the cash rewards you probably deserve.
Need to go, hope i have helped.
Tim
Old Feb 14th 2009, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Porteno is an unknown quantity at this point

Immigrating to Brazil is not an easy process. When I did it, they applied a process similar to one that I believe used to operate in Canada, that is they check to make sure there are no Brazilians who can do the job you are seeking. The company who sent me there had to come up with a 'contract' (purely for this purpose) stating how essential I was for them and that no Brazilian could possibly be qualified for the job (all nonsense of course, but necessary). After that, it was fairly plain sailing. You hire a 'despachante' (technically a customs agent in the UK, but a jack of all bureaucracy in Brazil) and he handles all the paperwork for a fee. In my case it took about a year before I got my permanent residence permit.

I certainly wouldn't recommend trying to immigrate unless you already have a job. Teaching in a language school would almost certainly require some sort of residence permit - the tax authorities in Brazil are not so sloppy as in most other South American countries. You need to make a tax declaration when you start your job in order to obtain a Tax Contributor ID without which you cannot open a bank account, have a credit card, buy a house, car, etc. or even travel by air!