Internet in Chile?

Old May 11th 2008, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Mr Wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet in Chile?

Hi,

I have just moved to chile recently, I am still on a tourist visa and might be for a while until friends of mine arrive and we start a business.

I have an apartment in Santiago, and I need internet access.

Any of the internet companies here I have been in touch with all tell me that I need a Chilean ID number to prove residency, which of course I dont have.

Even if I applied for residencey and got it, I would expect the process to take some time, and I need internet access as soon as possible.

Can anyone help or advise me on this issue?

Thanks.

Neil.
Old May 11th 2008, 8:32 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet in Chile?

Originally Posted by Mr Wolf
Hi,

I have just moved to chile recently, I am still on a tourist visa and might be for a while until friends of mine arrive and we start a business.

I have an apartment in Santiago, and I need internet access.

Any of the internet companies here I have been in touch with all tell me that I need a Chilean ID number to prove residency, which of course I dont have.

Even if I applied for residencey and got it, I would expect the process to take some time, and I need internet access as soon as possible.

Can anyone help or advise me on this issue?

Thanks.

Neil.

A short term solution
Freedial UP pall for call. Dial 123 609 123 00 00 user name 123 password 123 Doont know what the call cost is though
http://www.entelinternet.cl/planes/t...ree/index.html

Here is a list of suppliers in you area work your way through the list one my not require an ID number to get the service.
http://www.allchile.net/chilewiki/in...ernet_in_Chile
Old May 12th 2008, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Ka Ora.

My current plan is trying to convince a chilean friend, well more of an aquientence really, if he will get a mobile usb modem with contract that wont need to be associated with me or my address, then let me use it.

If that doesnt work I will phone round all the ispĀ“s in that list.

The suggestion on your first link wont work though as I dont have a phone line.

Thanks.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

matttheboy is an unknown quantity at this point

They told you that? Strange. Anyway, the easiest way to get around the ID problem is to get yourself a RUT number from the Servicios de Impuestos Internos (SII). You just need your passport and an address for this. I can't remember if you need to provide a reason for asking for the RUT number, but if they do just say you're buying a car. Your RUT number will start with a 48. It's just a tax number.

Then go to a VTR sales point in one of the malls (VTR is the lesser of many telecoms evils in Chile and generally offers the best service in Santiago) and when they ask for your ID number give them your RUT number and also your passport number. This should be enough.

If not, just go to another sales point or the head office and ask repeatedly. Eventually you'll find someone who will sort it out for you.
Old May 13th 2008, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Ahh, thanks Matttheboy.

I will try that.

Thanks.